Fishing Regulations


The information in this Web site is a service to anglers. It has been prepared as a guide only. This is not a complete list of regulations. For more detailed legal information, contact the department's Law Enforcement Division. Complete regulations may also be viewed and printed online. Just click here .

Special regulations for specific waters are posted on the Fishing Location Pages

ANS-DESIGNATED WATERS Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS) waters are defined as waters containing prohibited species such as Asian carp, white perch, and/or zebra mussels. Fish may not be transported alive from ANS designated waters.

FREE FISHING DAYS 2017 Free Fishing Days are June 3 and 4. 

FLOATLINES - Floatline fishing in now allowed year-round, 24-hours a day in designated waters.

BLACK BASS PASS - The tournament Black Bass Pass ($14.50) now allows anglers to keep five fish as part of their five-filh limit, to be released after the weigh-in, that meet the statewide 15-inch menimum length limit but that are under a special length limit fo the lake being fished. See full regulation.

LENGTH LIMITS - The statewide 15-inch minimum length limit for walley, sauger and saugeye does not apply to rivers, streams and tailwaters. Be sure to check length and creel limits for specific waters because they may have changed.

BAIT - Anglers who purchase bait from a commercial bait dealer are no longer required to possess a sales receipt while fishing. All other bait regulations are still in place.

Floatline Fishing

Floatline fishing is allowed year-round, 24 hours per day at the following locations:

  • Council Grove, 
  • Elk City, 
  • Fall River, 
  • Glen Elder, 
  • Hillsdale, 
  • John Redmond, 
  • Kanopolis, 
  • Lovewell, 
  • Tuttle Creek, 
  • Pomona, 
  • Toronto, 
  • Wilson reservoirs.

Anglers will be allowed no more than eight floatlines. All floatlines must be under immediate supervision of the angler and must be removed from the water when fishing ceases. All float material shall be constructed only from plastic, wood, or foam and shall be a closed-cell construction. A "closed-cell" construction shall mean a solid body incapable of containing water.

KS Fishing Regulations 15 cover

Previous image
Next image
KS Fishing Regulations 15 cover

Unless otherwise listed in the "Special Regulations" of a certain lake, the following length and daily creel limits apply to all Kansas waters that are open to public fishing access, and to all rivers and streams. City, county, and other locally-managed waters may have more restrictive length and creel limits, as posted on the areas. Special Regulations for certain waters are posted on the Fishing Location Pages or you can contact a district biologist for more information.

CULLING: Once a daily creel limit of any particular species has been possessed, any other fish of that species that is caught must be releasedimmediately, unharmed, into the water. It may not replace another fish already in the creel.



Type of Fish Number of Fish Length of Fish
Channel and Blue catfish (single species or in combination) 10  
Walleye, sauger, saugeye (single species or in combination) 5 15 inches
Rainbow trout, brown trout (single species or in combination) 5  
Black basses (largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, single species or in combination) 5 15 inches
Flathead catfish 5  
Northern pike 2 30 inches
Striped bass 2  
Wiper (white bass/striped bass hybrid) 2  
Crappie 50  
White bass, bullhead, bluegill and all other legal species No limit  
Paddlefish 2  

 The statewide 15-inch length limit on walleye, sauger and saugeye does not apply to in rivers, streams and tailwaters.

Bass Pass

A Bass Pass ($14.50), required of each angler participating in a black bass tournament between Sept.1 and June 15 allows anglers to keep five fish, to be released after tournament weigh-in, that meet the statewide 15-inch minimum length limit but are under a special length limit for that fishing location.

The regulation also allows an angler in a registered tournament to cull his or her catch after reaching the daily creel limit, by releasing a small fish and replacing it with a larger one.

Special Event Permits

A fishing tournament, when conducted on Wildlife and Parks-managed lands and water, requires a special event permit if one of the following conditions exist:

  1. An entrance, admission or participation fee is charged; 
  2. Food, merchandise, or service is offered for sale;
  3. The exclusive use of a facility or a specified land or water is required;
  4. An organized or advertised competition will be conducted; 
  5. Sound will be amplified that may disrupt area users; or 
  6. Temporary structures, other than blinds or common camping equipment, will be erected.

Applications for special event permits are available at Department offices. Each application for a special event permit shall be made to the Department not less than five week-days before the event. The special event permit fee is negotiated based on event type, required services, and lost revenue; the maximum fee is $200. Payment must accompany each application.


Residents age 16 through 74 who have been legal residents of the state for 60 days immediately prior to buying a license, must have a resident license in possession while fishing in Kansas. All nonresidents 16 and older must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas (unless fishing on a private pond not leased for public fishing). All licenses expire Dec. 31 each year, except five-day, lifetime, and 24-hour fishing licenses.

Landowners and their immediate family living with them, and tenants renting land for agricultural purposes and members of their immediate family living with them are exempt from fishing license requirements on waters on their own land. Fishing licenses are not required on private ponds. Guests of landowners fishing on streams and rivers must have a fishing license.

Anyone residing in Kansas who is at least one-sixteenth American Indian by blood, and so certified by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, may apply to Wildlife and Parks for a free fishing license, which must be in possession when fishing. All other laws and regulations apply to American Indians.

Persons on active duty in the armed forces who entered the service while residents of Kansas may purchase a resident fishing license. Nonresidents on active military duty stationed in Kansas and nonresident students going to school in Kansas are entitled to purchase a resident fishing license, which they must have with them while fishing, along with evidence of active duty or enrollment.

Active members of the Kansas Army or Air National Guard are eligible for free fishing and hunting licenses and park permits. Legal Kansas residents who have been separated from the armed services under honorable conditions and have a disability certified by the Kansas Commission On Veterans Affairs as being service-connected and such disability is equal to or greater than 30 percent may apply through the Pratt Operations Office for free hunting and fishing licenses (not applicable for park permits).Applications are also available on the KDWP website, .


Each angler is limited to two rods (three with three-pole permit) with no more than two baited hooks (single or treble) or artificial lures per line. An artificial lure is defined as a man-made fish-catching device used to mimic a single prey item. The umbrella rig, popularly called the Alabama Rig, may only have two separate lures with hooks.

Trotlines, Setlines, Floatlines  

In addition to two rods, an angler may set one trotline with no more than 25 hooks OR eight setlines with no more than two hooks each, OR eight floatlines with no more than two hooks each. Trotlines, setlines, and floatlines may not be set within 150 yards of any dam. Fishing lines, setlines, and trotlines must be checked at least once every 24 hours. Trotlines, setlines, floatlines, tip-ups, and unattended fishing lines must be tagged securely and plainly with the angler’s name and address or KDWPT number.  

Trotlines and setlines are prohibited on all department-managed waters under 1,201 surface acres. Other restrictions may be applied by posted notice.

Floatline Fishing Information


Legal fish bait includes artificial lures, bait fish, prepared bait, vegetable materials, artificial bait, worms, salamanders, frogs, and crawfish. No species listed as threatened, endangered, or in need of conservation may be used as bait. Any LEGALLY TAKEN wildlife may be used, including sportfish of legal length taken by hook and line.

It is illegal to clip the fins, tag, or otherwise mark fish if they are to be released after catch.


Before fishing private waters (except private waters enrolled in the FISH Program), anglers must obtain permission from the landowner or tenant. This also applies to anglers fishing from roadways, bridges, or railroad rights-of-way. Unless otherwise posted, all streams in Kansas other than the Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas rivers are under private ownership of adjoining landowners. Those three large rivers are public property up to the normal high-water line; however, fishermen must obtain landowner or tenant permission before crossing private property to fish.


Icefishing with baited hooks or lures is legal on lakes, reservoirs, and streams. In addition to the allowed two rods, eight tip-ups may be used to icefish, unless otherwise posted. Tip-ups may have a maximum of two hooks each. Unattended tip-ups must be tagged plainly with the angler's name and address. County or city lakes may have local laws controlling such activity. Motorized electric or gasoline-powered two-wheeled vehicles, all-terrian vehicles, work-site utility vehicles, golf carts, and snowmobiles may be operated on ice-covered department waters only for the purpose of ice fishing from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. These vehicles shall enter onto the ice only from boat ramps and points of entry as established by posted notice. Holes cut in the ice of public waters may be no more than 12 inches in diameter or 12 inches square.


Handfishing, for flathead catfish only, is legal from sunrise to sunset June 15 through Aug. 31 at three locations:

  • the entire length of the Arkansas River in Kansas,
  • all federal reservoirs from beyond 150 yards of the dam to the upper end of the federal property,
  • and on the Kansas River from its origin downstream to its confluence with the Missouri River.

A special permit ($27.50) is required in addition to a fishing license. Anyone handfishing may not use:

  • hooks
  • snorkeling or scuba gear,
  •  any other man-made device OR possess any fishing gear except a stringer.
  • Stringers may not be used until the fish are caught by hand and are at or above the surface of the water.
  • No man-made object — such as a barrel, box, or bathtub — may be used to attract fish.


Unless otherwise posted, spearguns, without explosive charge, may be used to take nonsport fish in waters posted “open to scuba and skin diving.” Spears must be attached to speargun or person by a line. Nonsport fish may also be taken by gigging in waters not posted as closed to gigging.


A special Paddlefish snagging season runs March 15 through May 15 on posted areas inside city parks on the Neosho River in Chetopa and Burlington, Neosho River at Iola downstream from dam to city limits, Marais des Cygnes River below Osawatomie Dam downstream to posted boundary, Marais des Cygnes River from the upstream boundary of the Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Area downstream to the Kansas-Missouri border, and the Browning Oxbow Lake of the Missouri River.

A Paddlefish permit (Adult - $12.50, Youth - $7.50) is required in addition to a Fishing License. The Paddlefish Permit includes six carcass tags. For locations to buy Paddlefish Snagging permits go HERE or buy ONLINE.

  • Paddlefish may be snagged using pole and line with not more than two single or treble hooks.
  • Daily Creel limit: 2
  • Possession limit: 6
  • There is a 24-inch minimum length limit on paddle fish in Missouri River boundary waters, and there is a 34-inch minimum length limit on the Marais des Cygnes River. Barbless hooks must be used in Chetopa City Park. Catch and release is allowed in Burlington, Chetopa, and Iola, except that once attached to a stringer, a fish becomes part of the daily creel limit.
  • Immediately upon harvest, anglers must sign a carcass tag, record the county/date/time of harvest, and attach the carcass tag to the lower jaw of the paddlefish taken. (NOTE: Tagging harvested paddlefish at designated check-in stations is no longer required.)
  • Anglers must stop snagging once the daily limit of paddlefish is reached.
  • Nonsport fish (carp, drum, grass carp, threadfin and gizzard shad, goldfish, gar, suckers including carpsucker and buffalo, goldeye, and bowfin) may also be snagged in waters posted open to snagging during the paddlefish season. There are no limits on nonsport fish.

A PDF of the complete Paddlefish Regulation can be found HERE.


 All waters are open to bowfishing, unless posted otherwise. Some bowfishing is permitted at city, county, township, or private lakes, but regulations vary, so bowfishermen should consult local rules. Fish that can be legally taken by bowfishing are blue, channel, and flathead catfish – for these species where no length limit exists – and nonsport fish. Crossbows are legal. Bowfishermen must have in possession a valid Kansas fishing license, unless exempt by law. Arrows must have barbed heads, and each arrow must be attached by a line to the bow and must be shot from the bow. Waters within 50 yards of an occupied boat dock or ramp, occupied swimming area, occupied picnic site or camping area, and other public-use areas are closed to bowfishing.


Bait fish (as defined) may be taken for noncommercial purposes.


Methods: seine not larger than 15 feet long and four feet deep, with mesh not larger than 1/4 inch; fish trap with mesh not larger than 1/4 inch and throat no larger than 1 inch in diameter (must be tagged with fisherman's name and address); fishing line; or a dip or cast net with mesh no larger than 1/2 inch.

  • Size: bait fish may not exceed 12 inches. 
  • Limit: 500 per person.
  • Legal waters: statewide, except that seining is prohibited on department-owned waters.
  • License requirement: unless exempt by law, a fishing license is required.
  • Wild-caught baitfish may be used as live bait only within the common drainage where caught and shall not be transported upstream across any dam or barrier that prohibits the normal passage of fish. Bluegill and green sunfish collected from non-designated aquatic nuisance waters may be possessed or used as live bait anywhere in the state. No person may possess any live fish upon departure from any designated aquatic nuisance species water


Bullfrog season extends from July 1 through October 31. Daily creel limit is eight. Possession limit is 24 bullfrogs after the third day of the season. A valid fishing license is required for any person to take, catch, or kill bullfrogs, except persons exempt by law from having such license. Bullfrogs may be legally taken any time of day or night by dip net, gig, hook and line, hand, bow and arrow, or crossbow. A line must attach bow to arrow, and the arrow must have a barbed head. Any other method of taking bullfrogs is prohibited.


Common snapping turtles and soft-shelled turtles may be taken year-round. Daily creel limit is eight, single species or in combination. Possession limit is three creel limits. A valid fishing license is required (unless exempt). Legal equipment: hand, hook and line, setline, hand dip net, seine, turtle trap, or gig.

It is unlawful to refuse to allow law enforcement officers to inspect wildlife in possession or devices or facilities used in taking, possessing, transporting, storing, or processing any wildlife or to sell fish taken by sport fishing methods, except as specifically authorized under a commercial fishing permit.


The consumption of cereal malt beverages containing no more than 3.2 percent alcohol is permitted on department lands and waters, unless otherwise posted. Check local posted regulations. Boating under the influence (BUI) of alcohol is illegal, and BUI laws will be strictly enforced.


Motorboats may be used on state fishing lakes for fishing and hunting only, unless otherwise posted. Wading and tube floating in state lakes is legal as part of fishing, hunting, bullfrogging, and trapping activities.


The trout season runs November 1 - April 15. During that season, some waters stocked with trout require a trout permit ($14.50) whether fishing for trout or not, and others require a trout permit only for anglers fishing for trout.Waters are listed below. In addition, all residents 16 through 74 years old and nonresidents 16 and older must also have a valid fishing license. Trout permits are available at KDWPT offices,  county clerk offices, license vendors, or online. THE PERMIT IS VALID FOR THE CURRENT CALENDAR YEAR.

Some local governments in areas such as Topeka and Kansas City have their own trout stocking programs. Many of these require a fee, but the state permit is not required. Local city and county recreation departments should have details. Approximate trout stocking dates and sites may be found HERE.

YOUTH 15 & UNDER LIMIT: If they do not have a Trout Permit the daily creel limit is 2 trout. If they do have a Trout Permit the daily creel limit is 5 trout.

ADULT LIMIT: The daily creel limit is 5 trout unless otherwise posted. The possession limit is 15.

YEAR-ROUND SEASON: Trout fishing at Mined Land Wildlife Area Unit #30 (Cherokee County).


Dodge City Lake Charles, Ft. Scott Gun Park Lake, Garnett Crystal Lake, Glen Elder Reservoir Outlet, Kanopolis Seep Stream, KDOT East Lake in Wichita, Lake Henry in Clinton SP, Mined Land WA Unit #30, Pratt Centennial Pond, Vic’s Lake and Slough Creek in Sedgwick County Park, Topeka Auburndale Park, Walnut River Area in El Dorado SP, and Webster Stilling Basin.


Atchison City Lake No. 1, Cimarron Grasslands Pits, Colby Villa High Lake, Father Padilla Lake in Herington, Ft. Riley Cameron Springs and Moon lakes, Great Bend Veterans Memorial Park Lake, Great Bend Stone Lake, Holton-Elkhorn Lake, Hutchinson Dillon Nature Center Pond, Lake Shawnee, Meade State Fishing Lake, Salina Lakewood Lake, Scott State Fishing Lake, Scott State Park Pond, Syracuse-Sam's Pond and Cherryvale City Lake.


Anyone with a permanent physical disability that prevents them from fishing may apply for a Disability Assistance Permit. The permit allows a licensed designated person to actually harvest fish while accompanying the permit holder. (This law also applies to hunting.) For more information or applications, contact KDWP, Law Enforcement Division, 512 SE 25th Ave., Pratt, KS 67124, (620) 672-5911.


Fish with length or creel limits shall have the head, body, and tail fin left attached while in possession on the water or until consumed on the water. Sportfish taken must be kept until consumed, processed, taken home, released, or disposed of at a designated fish cleaning station.


In agreement with the Missouri Department of Conservation, the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks has established special rules regarding that portion of the Missouri River that borders both Kansas and Missouri. These rules apply only to that portion of the Missouri River that creates a common boundary between Kansas and Missouri. All fish caught from the Missouri River Boundary Waters that are a size or number that is illegal to possess shall be released unrestricted to the water immediately. Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS) Alert – Asian Carp, Zebra Mussels, and White Perch.


Anglers with either a valid Kansas or Missouri fishing license may fish any flowing portion and backwaters of the Missouri River and any oxbow lake through which the river flows. They may fish from and attach any legal fishing equipment to the land adjoining these waters.


Tributaries of the Missouri may not be fished without a valid fishing license from the state through which the tributary flows. If any law or regulation governing fishing in the Missouri River is different from the corresponding law or regulation in the state for which the angler has a license, the more restrictive state’s law or regulation will apply. Each angler must keep all legally caught fish restrained separately from any other angler. Bow and arrow or crossbow with a barbed head and a line attached are legal only from sunrise to midnight. Each angler may use three fishing lines. In addition, each angler may use one trotline with no more than 25 hooks OR eight setlines with no more than two hooks each, OR eight floatlines.


Black Bass: 12-inch minimum
Paddlefish: 24-inch minimum
Channel Catfish: 15-inch
Sauger and Walleye: 15-inch

Black Bass: 6
Channel catfish: 10
Blue Catfish: 5
Crappie: 30
Flathead catfish: 5
Paddlefish: 2
Walleye, sauger, and their hybrids (single species or in combination): 4
Yellow bass, striped bass, white bass, and their hybrids (single species or in combination): 15