11. What is the definition of a landowner or tenant?

2013 Deer FAQs

A landowner is any resident who owns 80 acres or more of Kansas farm or ranch land. When applying for a landowner/tenant permit, land owned must be in the unit applying for.
A tenant is any resident or nonresident who is actively engaged in the agricultural operation of 80 acres or more of Kansas farm or ranch land for the purpose of producing agricultural commodities or livestock and (A) has a substantial financial investment in the production of agricultural commodities or livestock on such farm or ranch land and the potential to realize substantial financial benefit from such production or, (B) is a bona fide manager having an overall responsibility to direct, supervise and conduct such agricultural operation and have the potential to realize substantial benefit from such production in the form of salary, shares of such production or some other economic incentive based upon such production. Evidence of tenancy, if requested, shall be provided to the department and may include, but is not limited to, Natural Resource Conservation Service records, Farm Service Agency records, or written agricultural contract or lease documentation. Land must be located in the unit you are applying for to qualify.
Members of the immediate family who are domiciled with a resident landowner or tenant may apply for a resident big game permit as a landowner or as a tenant, but at least 80 acres must be owned by such landowner or operated by such tenant for each individual applying as a landowner or as a tenant.
To qualify as a nonresident landowner, a person must own property in simple ownership with their name on the deed. Property held in a trust, LLC, partnership, or other legal entity is owned by that legal entity. Permits on properties owned by a legal entity are available only to tenants who either farm at least 80 acres, or manage an 80 acre or larger farm that produces an agricultural commodity such as crops or cattle. Serving as a board member, trustee, non managing partner or other such position does not qualify a person for a Kansas landowner deer permit. There are exceptions. For details, phone (620) 672-5911 and ask for Law Enforcement.

(Hunt-Own-Land Permits)
Hunt-Own-Land permits are valid for any season with equipment legal for that season, and only on lands owned and operated for agricultural purposes. This permit is available to individuals who qualify as landowners, tenants, nonresident landowners or family members living with a resident landowner or tenant.