Hunter/ Furharvester Education


Youth 15 and younger may hunt without hunter education if directly supervised by an adult 18 or older. Anyone 16 or older may purchase a one-time deferral of hunter education, called an apprentice hunting license, for the same price as a regular hunting license. This license is valid only through the calendar year in which it is purchased, and the holder
must be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult 18 or older.

Hunter education is
not required while hunting one’s own land. Otherwise, anyone born on or after July 1, 1957, must have hunter education. Anyone under 27 years old must carry a Kansas or other state approved hunter education card while hunting. In Kansas, you must be 11 years old to be certified, and may not hunt without adult supervision until 12. Duplicate certificates may be purchased for $11.50 at department offices; $11.75 online.


Persons born on or after July 1, 1966, must successfully complete a furharvester education course approved by KDWP to purchase a furharvester license or hunt, run, or trap furbearers or trap coyotes on lands other than their own. Course information: (620) 672-5911 or