Whitetail either sex permits still available; new rules for 2005

PRATT -- Two deer seasons open in September: the muzzleloader season, which runs Sept. 10-23, and the youth/disabled season, which runs Sept. 24-25. Resident hunters who have yet to obtain a Whitetail Either Sex permit may still obtain one through the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks' (KDWP) automated licensing system, which is now in operation at KDWP offices and select license vendors. Big game permits may also be purchased online . Customers may purchase most licenses, permits, and registrations from their homes, either through online computer purchase at or by phoning 1-800-918-2877, toll-free.

Resident hunting licenses, required of anyone age 16 through 64, cost $20.15. Whitetail Either Sex Deer permits cost $32.15. Whitetail Antlerless Only Deer game tags, which may be purchased only after an antlered deer permit has been purchased, cost $12.15.

A number of new regulations affect deer hunting this year, including the following:

  • Archery permits are no longer valid statewide. Nine archery units have been created. Archery permit purchasers may select up to two archery units, plus Unit 19.
  • Archery permit holders may hunt during the firearms season (Nov. 30 through Dec. 11) with legal archery equipment only. Archers hunting during a firearms season must wear orange clothing, which is required of all deer hunters during a firearms season.
  • Unit 16 has been added to units requiring firearms hunters to register harvested deer at check stations during the regular firearms season. Other mandatory check station units for firearms hunters include 1, 2, 3, 17, and 18. Deer taken outside of these units and outside the regular firearms deer season do not need to be taken to a deer check station.
  • Deer Management Unit 19 boundaries have been modified to include a larger portion of the city of Leavenworth.
  • Landowner/tenants who were successful in the nonresident permit drawing will not receive a permit valid for use in the field. Instead, a transferable permit voucher will be issued and mailed to the applicant. The voucher may be redeemed for the original permit.
  • There is no minimum age to apply for and receive a big game permit, and youth younger than 16 may hunt without hunter education, if supervised by an adult.

For more information, visit the KDWP website or phone 620-672-5911.