Note to Editor's: Media Park Passes Available

Kansas law requires all motor vehicles entering state parks to have a motor vehicle permit. It does, however, provide a special pass for members of the media to enter state parks for special events or sightseeing. The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) would like to provide you with a state parks media pass, which will be valid through Dec. 31, 2006. Contact to obtain a pass.

Visit our parks at any time to develop feature articles, coverage of special events and concerts, wildlife and natural resource articles, and other stories about our parks or related activities.

Generally, we issue one pass per media outlet; if additional passes are needed, please let us know. The pass may be transferred from one motor vehicle to another. The pass should be placed on the driver’s side of the front windshield. This pass is valid only for official business and not for personal use. However, if members of your staff want to spend time in recreational pursuits, such as camping, for researching a story, they may contact the local park manager to make arrangements.

This pass does not confer special privileges, such as access to investigation or accident scenes, nor does it allow holders to cross police lines. In the event of a regulation or statute change, the pass may be revoked by the director of the Parks Division or by the KDWP secretary.

Thank you for the responsible coverage you have extended to the department in the past. Please visit our website ( for up-to-date information or e-mail me at We look forward to seeing you in our parks.

Jerry Hover,
KDWP Parks Division Director