WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION TO MEET JAN. 11 IN WINFIELD
Regulations to be set on general sportfish length and creel limits,
prohibition of white perch
The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing at Southwestern College, Wroten Hall in Winfield on Thursday, Jan. 11. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. The evening public hearing will begin at 7 p.m.
The public is invited to attend all sessions. The afternoon session agenda includes the following discussion topics:
- proposed legislation for fiscal year (FY) 2007;
- FY 2008 budget;
- upland game bird seasons report;
- Deer Working Group report;
- Free Park Entrance Days and Free Fishing Days;
- Life Hunts for big game; and
- electronic licenses and permits.
The afternoon meeting will also include workshop sessions in preparation for
potential future regulatory action on the following topics:
- wild turkey -- legal equipment and methods of take;
- wild turkey -- fall seasons, bag limits, and permits;
- antelope -- open seasons, bag limits, and permits;
- elk -- open seasons, bag limits, and permits;
- big game -- legal equipment and methods of take; and
- deer -- open seasons, bag limits, and permits.
The Commission will recess at 5 p.m., then reconvene at the same location at 7 p.m. for presentation of a service award to retiring Commission Chairman James Harrington, discussion of Arkansas River Access, fishing opportunities in Cowley County under the Community Fisheries Assistance Program (CFAP), and a public hearing on the following proposed regulations:
- KAR 115-18-10 -- addition of white perch to the list of prohibited species; and
- KAR 115-25-14 -- general creel and size limits for sportfish.
If necessary, the Commission will recess on Jan. 11 and reconvene Jan. 12 at 9 a.m. in the same location to complete its business. Time will be set aside in all sessions for public comment on items that are not on the agenda.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission of Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the Commission secretary at 620-672-5911.