Applications available online;
Whitetail Either Sex permits on sale now
PRATT — The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) reminds resident hunters that 2007 Firearms Any Deer permit applications are due July 13. Any Deer permits allow the take of a mule deer or white-tailed deer of either sex. All other resident deer permits and game tags, including Whitetail Either Sex permits, may be purchased throughout the seasons at KDWP offices, license vendors, or online at
Each hunter is limited to a maximum of one antlered deer permit. However, each hunter may purchase as many as five whitetail antlerless permits or tags in addition to that single antlered permit, depending on the unit being hunted. All deer hunters must possess a valid antlered deer permit before they can acquire an antlerless-only permit or game tag.
The general resident Any Deer permit costs $37.15. Landowner/tenant Any Deer permits cost $22.15. Unsuccessful applicants will be charged a $6.15 application fee and receive one preference point for next year's drawing. Other deer permit prices include the following:
• resident general Whitetail Either Sex permit: $32.15;
• landowner/tenant Whitetail Either Sex permit: $17.15;
• Archery permit: $32.15;
• Whitetail Antlerless Only permit: $32.15;
• Whitetail Antlerless Only Deer game tag: $12.15; and
• Hunt-Own-Land: $17.15.
Archery permit holders may hunt in as many as two of nine archery units, as specified on the permit, as well as Unit 19. Archery hunters may also hunt during the firearms season (Nov. 28 through Dec. 9) with legal archery equipment only. Archers hunting during a firearm season must wear orange clothing, as required of firearms hunters.
Deer seasons for 2007 include the following:
• firearms: Nov. 28-Dec. 9;
• archery: Oct. 1-Dec. 31;
• muzzleloader: Sept. 15-28 and Nov. 28-Dec. 9; and
• youth/disabled: Sept. 29-30.
• urban units (units 19 & 10a) early firearms: Oct. 13-21.
• urban units archery extended whitetail antlerless: Jan. 7-31, 2008.
• firearms extended whitetail antlerless: Jan. 1-6, 2008 in units 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 19.
Applications for general resident elk permits are also due July 13 and are available online. Hunt-Own-Land permits are available through March 14, 2008. Most hunting opportunity occurs on Ft. Riley, but unlimited Hunt-Own-Land permits are available off the base. The open unit for elk hunting includes the entire state except Morton County.
Elk seasons for 2007 include the following:
Outside Ft. Riley
• muzzleloader: Sept. 1- 30;
• archery: Oct. 1-Dec. 31; and
• firearms: Nov. 28-Dec. 9 and Jan. 1-March 15, 2008.
On Ft. Riley
• archery and muzzleloader: Sept. 1-30; and
• firearms: Oct. 1-Dec. 31.
General resident Any Elk permits cost $252.15, and landowner/tenant Any Elk permits are $127.15. General resident Antlerless Only Elk permits cost $102.15 landowner/tenant Antlerless Only Elk permits are $52.15. All elk permit applicants will be charged a $6.15 application fee.
Youth younger than 16 may hunt without hunter education if directly supervised by an adult 18 or older. Hunter education is not required while hunting one’s own land. Otherwise anyone born after July 1, 1957, must have hunter education. Anyone under 27 years old must carry an approved hunter education card while hunting in Kansas. KDWP accepts approved courses from all other states.
Duplicate hunter education certificates may be purchased for $11. Internet duplicates are $11.75.
Anyone 16 or older may purchase a one-time deferral of hunter education, called an apprentice hunting license, for the same price as a regular hunting license. This license is only valid through the calendar year in which it is purchased, and the holder must be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult 18 years or older while hunting.