RESIDENT EITHER-SPECIES DEER, ELK PERMIT APPLICATIONS DUE JULY 11
Applications available online; Either-species/Either-sex permit allows take of white-tailed or mule deer
PRATT -- The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) reminds resident hunters that 2008 Firearm Either-species/Either-sex permit applications are due July 11 and are available online at www.kdwp.state.ks.us. These limited permits allow firearm hunters to take a mule deer or white-tailed deer of either sex. General resident permits cost $37.50. Landowner/tenant permits cost $22.50. Unsuccessful applicants will be charged a $6.50 application fee and receive one preference point for next year's drawing.
All other resident deer permits went on sale July 1 over the counter. Deer seasons for 2008 include the following:
- youth and disabled -- Sept. 13-21;
- muzzleloader only -- Sept. 22-Oct. 5;
- archery -- Sept. 22-Dec. 31;
- early firearm (Unit 19 only) -- Oct. 11-19;
- regular firearm -- Dec. 3-14;
- extended whitetail antlerless-only -- Jan. 1-4, 2009;
- archery extended whitetail antlerless (Unit 19 only) -- Jan. 5-31, 2009; and
- extended northcentral Kansas firearm antlerless-only season -- Jan. 5-11.
Applications for general resident elk permits are also due July 11 and are available online. Hunt-Own-Land Elk permits are available through March 14, 2009. Most elk hunting opportunity occurs on Ft. Riley, but unlimited Hunt-Own-Land permits are available off the base. The open unit for elk hunting includes the entire state except Morton County.
Elk seasons for 2008 include the following:
Outside Ft. Riley
- muzzleloader -- Sept. 1-Oct. 5;
- archery -- Sept. 22-Dec. 31; and
- firearms -- Dec. 3-14 and Jan. 1-March 15, 2009.
On Ft. Riley
- archery and muzzleloader -- Sept. 1-30; and
- firearms -- Oct. 1-Dec. 31.
General resident Any-Elk permits cost $252.50, and landowner/tenant Any-Elk permits are $127.50. General resident Antlerless-only Elk permits cost $102.50 landowner/tenant Antlerless-only Elk permits are $52.50. All elk permit applicants will be charged a $6.50 application fee. For more information, visit the KDWP website or phone the nearest agency office.