Applications available at KDWP website
PRATT — Active members of the Kansas Army and Air National Guard who are Kansas residents may obtain free Kansas hunting and fishing licenses, as well as free state park entrance permits. To receive free licenses and permits, Kansas guardsmen apply through the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks' (KDWP) Pratt Operations Office. Depending on the particular licenses and/or state park permits they request, they will be required to submit appropriate documentation.

For those who do not already have this year's permits or licenses, application forms can be downloaded from the KDWP website at www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Click "Other Services/Publications/Hunting," and then "Application 2009 KS National Guard Hunting, Fishing, and Park Vehicle Permit." The forms must be signed by the National Guard member’s unit commander and mailed to KDWP with photocopies of appropriate documentation.

Free hunting and fishing licenses are also offered to all Kansas veterans who have been certified by a physician with at least a 30-percent service-related disability. Disabled veterans who enlisted as regular servicemen will be able to apply for free hunting and fishing licenses (not applicable for park permits). Applications are also available at the above website.

These permits and licenses are paid for from the state general fund and are allocated by the Kansas State Legislature.

As with other KDWP permits and licenses, 2010 National Guard and disabled veterans licenses will be available on Dec. 15 and will be valid for the remainder of 2009 and all of 2010.