Permits aid conservation organizations; application deadline Jan. 4
PRATT — Applications are now available for qualified conservation organizations interested in applying for Commission Big Game permits. Information and applications are available from Sheila Kemmis, 620-672-5911, or online at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) website, Click "Other Services/Publications/Hunting," and then "2010 Commission Big Game Permit Application."

Commission Big Game permits are available only to local chapters of nonprofit organizations based or operating in Kansas that actively promote conservation and the hunting and fishing heritage. Applications must be submitted no later than Jan. 4, 2010. Winners will be drawn at the next meeting of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission, scheduled for Jan. 7, 2010, at the Cheyenne Bottoms Visitors Center near Great Bend.

Commission permits were authorized by the 2005 Kansas Legislature. KDWP may issue as many as seven commission permits annually, including no more than one elk permit and one antelope permit, with the remainder designated Either-Species/Either Sex Deer permits.

The permits are valid for the 2010 hunting seasons and will be sold by participating organizations in auctions or raffles to help raise funds for conservation projects. Eighty-five percent of the proceeds from the organizations’ sales of the permits must be used in conservation projects approved by KDWP. Organizations can keep 15 percent of the proceeds for their own designated uses.