PLAN NOW FOR FREE STATE PARK ENTRANCE DAYS IN 2010
Department of Wildlife and Parks has announced bargain days for new year
PRATT — The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks has announced its schedule for 2010 Free Park Entrance Days, when anyone may enter individual state parks without a vehicle permit. (Camping and other permits are still required.) While the weather may seem too chilly to think about visiting a state park, it's never to early to plan a trip or make a reservation for a campsite or cabin on dates when a park may offer free vehicle entrance combined with special events. And some free entrance days coincide with winter events.
Special events planned in conjunction with Free Park Entrance Days differ from park to park. All of them make the park experience special. Each park is allowed two free entrance days, both on a single weekend or two separate days of the year.
The 2010 Free Park Entrance Days schedule includes the following state parks:
- Cedar Bluff — June 12-13, special events to be announced;
- Cheney — April 24-25, OK Kids Day;
- Clinton — August 15-16, OK Kids Day;
- Crawford — April 24, cabin dedication, and Sept 18, Bluegrass Festival and chili cookoff;
- El Dorado — Oct. 2-3, OK Kids Day;
- Eisenhower — June 20, Fathers Day event, and Oct. 2, OK Kids Day;
- Elk City — June 12, OK Kids Day, and Oct. 30, Neewallah;
- Cross Timbers — April 22 Earth Day/OK Kids Day, and June 5, Free Fishing Day;
- Fall River — June 5, Free Fishing Day, and Sept. 25, Fall River Rendezvous/National Public Lands Day;
- Glen Elder — June 5-6, Free Fishing Days;
- Hillsdale — May 9, Mothers Day, and June 20, special events to be announced;
- Kanopolis — April 24-25, special events to be announced;
- Kaw River — July 3-4, park dedication July 4;
- Lovewell — March 27-28, Lovewell State Park Open House program;
- Meade — May 1-2, OK Kids Days;
- Milford — Jan. 16, Eagle Day, and Aug. 21, Extreme Outdoor Water Festival;
- Perry— June 5-6, Free Fishing Weekend;
- Pomona — June 5, Friends Fishing Derby/Free Fishing Day;
- Prairie Dog — June 5-6, Free Fishing Days;
- Prairie Spirit — June 5-6, National Trails Day;
- Sand Hills State Park — April 24-25, Spring Trails Days;
- Scott — June 12-13, OK Kids Day and cabin dedication;
- Tuttle Creek — Aug. 28-29, OK Kids Days;
- Webster — May 15-16, OK Kids Days; and
- Wilson — June 19-20, OK Kids Days.
For more information, contact individual state parks or visit the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us.