MAY EVENTS LURE KANSAS STATE PARK VISITORS
Fishing tournaments dominate park activities in early season
PRATT — State parks are great places to camp, boat, fish, swim, and just enjoy the outdoors, but if that isn't enough, you'll find a special event you won't want to miss. In May, the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) has planned a number of special events. Because May is one of the best months for fishing, many of this month's events are fishing tournaments. Other events include Women On Target activities and a trail ride. Each park sets its own dates for these events.
Events are diverse and may include anything from a marathon race to boating courses and equestrian events. Many are educational, and all make visiting Kansas state parks more enjoyable. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the State Parks page of the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Cabin rental reservations may also be made online.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column. A short conversation with local park staff will provide information on campsite availability, park conditions, current visitation rates, and answers to other questions. Campsite reservations may also be made by phone.
The following is a list of events for May:
- May 1 — Glen Elder State Park, Waconda Lake Association Fish-A-Thon;
- May 1 — El Dorado State Park, Women in the Outdoors activities;
- May 8 — Perry State Park Backlashers Bass Club fishing tournament;
- May 8 — Tuttle Creek State Park's Fancy Creek Shooting Range, Women on Target instructional shooting clinic;
- May 15 — Glen Elder State Park, Waconda Lake Association crappie tournament;
- May 15 — Wilson State Park, American Bass Anglers fishing tournament;
- May 16 — Eisenhower State Park, Crappie Busters fishing tournament;
- May 16 — Perry State Park, Atchison Bass Club fishing tournament;
- May 16 — Wilson State Park, Kansas Bass Federation fishing tournament;
- May 22 — Perry State Park, Kansas Best of Bass team trial fishing tournament;
- May 23 — Glen Elder State Park, Governor's Cup Walleye Tournament; and
- May 30 — Eisenhower State Park, Wright Flight of Kansas/Missouri horse trail ride.