RESIDENT ELK, EITHER-SPECIES DEER PERMIT APPLICATIONS DUE JULY 9
Applications available online; Either-Species/Either-Sex permit allows take of white-tailed or mule deer
PRATT — The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) reminds resident hunters that 2010 Firearm Either-Species/Either-Sex Deer permit applications are due July 9 and are available online at www.kdwp.state.ks.us. These permits allow firearm hunters to take a mule deer or white-tailed deer of either sex. General resident permits cost $37.50. Landowner/tenant permits cost $22.50. Unsuccessful applicants will be charged a $6.50 application fee and receive one preference point for next year's drawing.
Deer seasons for 2010 include the following:
- youth and disabled: Sept. 11-19;
- early muzzleloader: Sept. 20-Oct. 3;
- archery: Sept. 20-Dec. 31;
- early firearm (Unit 19 only): Oct. 9-17;
- regular firearm: Dec. 1-12;
- extended whitetail antlerless-only: Jan. 1-9, 2011;
- special extended whitetail antlerless: Jan. 10-16, 2011 (units 7, 8, and 15 only); and
- archery extended whitetail antlerless (Unit 19 only): Jan. 10-31, 2011.
Applications for general resident elk permits to hunt on Fort Riley are also due July 9 and are available online.
Most elk hunting opportunity occurs on Fort Riley. However, an unlimited number of Hunt-Own-Land Antlerless Only Elk and Hunt-Own-Land Either Sex Elk permits will be available, except that Morton County will be closed to elk hunting. A Hunt-Own-Land elk permit is valid during any legal elk season, and the bag limit is one elk as specified on the permit. These permits will be available July 19, 2010, through March 14, 2011.
An unlimited number of Antlerless Only Elk permits and Either Sex Elk permits will be available statewide, except that these permits will not be valid on Fort Riley or in Clay, Geary, Riley, or Morton counties. The bag limit for each unlimited over the counter elk permit will be one elk as specified on the permit. These permits are also available July 19, 2010 through March 14, 2011.
Elk seasons for 2010 include the following:
Outside Fort Riley
- muzzleloader: Sept. 1-Oct. 3;
- archery: Sept. 20-Dec. 31; and
- firearm: Dec. 1-12 and Jan. 1-March 15, 2011.
On Fort Riley
- muzzleloader and archery season: Sept. 1-Oct. 3;
- firearms season for holders of any-elk permits: Oct. 1-Dec. 31;
- firearms antlerless first segment: Oct. 1-31;
- firearms antlerless second segment: Nov. 1-30; and
- firearms antlerless third segment: Dec. 1-31.
General resident Either Sex Elk permits cost $252.50, and landowner/tenant Either Sex permits are $127.50. General resident Antlerless Only Elk permits cost $102.50. Landowner/tenant Antlerless-Only Elk permits are $52.50. The fee to apply for an elk permit or purchase a bonus point is $7.69.
Applicants for General Resident Elk permits on Fort Riley must apply online or by phone, 620-672-0728, by July 9. For more information, visit the KDWP website or phone the nearest agency office.