JULY PEAK OF SEASON AT KANSAS STATE PARKS
From Independence Day fireworks to boat races, special events celebrate mid-summer
PRATT — July means fishing, boating, swimming, and fireworks, and Kansas state parks provide them all. As Kansans get prepared to celebrate the birth of the nation and enjoy July outdoors, state parks are destination #1.
In addition to firework displays at many state parks, the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) has planned a number of special park events. Fishing tournaments continue as a favorite summer pastime, while other events — including a veterans reunion at El Dorado State Park, a sand castle contest at Lovewell, boat races at Kanopolis, and a trail run at Perry — make state park visits a July treat.
Each park sets its own dates for events. Many are educational, and all make visiting Kansas state parks more enjoyable. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the " Event Calendar " on the State Parks page of the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Cabin rental reservations may also be made online.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column. A short conversation with local park staff will provide information on campsite availability, park conditions, current visitation rates, and answers to other questions. Campsite reservations may also be made by phone.
The following is a list of events for July:
- July 2-4 —fireworks, dance, parade, and mud volleyball at Cross Timbers State Park and the city of Toronto;
- July 3 — fireworks display at Wilson State Park;
- July 4 — Waters Edge Ministry church service at Hillsdale State Park (every Sunday);
- July 4 — fireworks display at Prairie Dog State Park;
- July 4 — fireworks display at Kanopolis State Park;
- July 10-11 — Kansas Walleye Association fishing tournament at Eisenhower State Park;
- July 15-18 — Kansas Veterans and Family Reunion at El Dorado State Park;
- July 17 — Twin Rivers Bass fishing tournament at Pomona State Park;
- July 17 — Jackpot Buddy Bass Club fishing tournament at Wilson state Park;
- July 18 — Twin Rivers Bass Club fishing tournament at Eisenhower State Park;
- July 18 — sand castle/sculpture contest at Lovewell State Park;
- July 24 — Central Kansas Yacht Club Boat Poker Run boat race at Kanopolis State Park;
- July 25 — Kansas Best of Bass Team Trail fishing tournament at Pomona State Park;
- July 31 — Great Plains Running Company foot race at Perry State Park.