LOOK FORWARD TO MAY STATE PARK EVENTS
May 3, 2012
Fishing tournaments dominate park activities in early season
PRATT — State parks are great places to camp, boat, fish, swim, and just enjoy the outdoors, but if that isn't enough, you'll find a special event you won't want to miss. In May, the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) has planned a number of special events. Because May is one of the best months for fishing, many of this month's events are fishing tournaments. Other events include Women On Target activities, mountain bike races, and an equestrian trail ride. Each park sets its own dates for these events.
Events are diverse and many are educational. All make visiting Kansas state parks more enjoyable. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the State Parks page of the KDWPT website, www.ksoutdoors.com. Under “Reservations,” campsite and cabin reservations may be made online. Since upgrading the system in April, online reservations are faster and easier. In addition to allowing customers to make reservations from the comfort of home, photos of each campsite and its availability are hosted online.
Although not necessary to make a reservation, park goers may phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices are found on the KDWPT website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column. Campsite reservations may also be made by phone.
The following is a list of events for May:
- May 1-Sept. 3 — Waconda Lake Association Fish-A-Thon at Glen Elder State Park;
- May 5-6 — Kansas Bass Federation fishing tournament at Wilson State Park;
- May 5 — courtesy boat checks at Tuttle Creek State Park;
- May 5-6 — Kansas Fat Tire Festival mountain bike race at Wilson State Park;
- May 6 — Kansas Walleye Association fishing tournament at Eisenhower State Park;
- May 6 — Waconda Lake Association crappie tournament at Glen Elder State Park;
- May 12 — snake show-n-tell at Clinton State Park;
- May 12 — Women on Target event at Tuttle Creek State Park’s Fancy Creek Range;
- May 12 — OK Kids Day aquatic education event at Fall River State Park;
- May 18-20 — Eastern Kansas Arabian Association equestrian trail ride at Hillsdale State Park;
- May 20 — Atchison Bass Club fishing tournament at Eisenhower State Park; and
- May 20 — Kansas State Mountain Bike Championship at Tuttle Creek State Park.