APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR LIMITED RESIDENT ELK PERMITS JULY 12
June 27, 2013
General resident, landowner/tenant, and hunt-own-land elk permits can be purchased online
PRATT – Boasting body weights that can easily reach a quarter-ton, elk are one of the largest land mammals to roam Kansas. Known for their brute strength and the extraordinary antlers of males, these members of the deer family are prized by big game hunters far and wide, and were native on the Kansas prairie before settlement.
Although individuals and small herds exist throughout the state, most Kansas elk are concentrated on Fort Riley in elk management unit 2a. This summer, hundreds of hunters and military personnel will apply for a Fort Riley elk permit, however only about 25 will receive one. Fort Riley elk permits issued this year will include 10 either-sex and 15 antlerless-only. The 15 antlerless-only permits will be divided evenly among three segments: October, November, and December.
For other who wish to hunt elk outside of Fort Riley, general resident, landowner/tenant, and hunt-own-land permits are available. An unlimited number of resident and landowner/tenant either-sex or antlerless-only permits authorized for Unit 3 are available online and over-the-counter July 30, 2013 through March 14, 2014. Unlimited hunt-own-land either-sex and antlerless-only elk permits authorized for Units 2 and 3 will also be made available online and over-the counter through March 14, 2014. Hunt-own-land permits are valid during any season with equipment authorized for that season.
Elk permit prices are as follows:
- General Resident: $252.50
- Hunt-own-land: $127.50
- Resident Youth (15 and younger): $127.50
- General resident: $102.50
- Hunt-own-land: $52.50
- Resident Youth (15 and younger): $52.50
Elk season dates are as follows:
On Fort Riley (Elk management unit 2a)
- Muzzleloader and Archery Season: Sept. 1 - Sept. 30, 2013
- Firearms Season for Holders of Any-Elk Permits: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31, 2013
- Firearms Antlerless First Segment: Oct. 1- Oct. 31, 2013
- Firearms Antlerless Second Segment: Nov. 1 - Nov. 30, 2013
- Firearms Antlerless Third Segment: Dec. 1 - Dec. 31, 2013
Outside Fort Riley (Elk management units 2 and 3)
- Muzzleloader Season: Sept. 1 - Sept. 30, 2013
- Archery Season: Sept. 16 - Dec. 31, 2013
- Firearms Season: Dec. 4 - Dec. 15, 2013 and Jan. 1 - Mar.15, 2014
To apply for or purchase an elk permit, visit ksoutdoors.com and click “Hunting / Applications and Fees / Antelope & Elk.” A fee of $7.69 will be applied to every elk permit application and to those purchasing a bonus point.