Capital Campout 2014
Kids and families from the Topeka area discovered the great outdoors at the nation’s first Capital Camp Out, May 30-31 at MacLennan Park in Topeka, Kansas.
The Topeka Capital Camp-Out was the first of four held across the United States as a part of National Great Outdoors Month. Governor Sam Brownback officially recognized June 2014 as Great Outdoors Month in Kansas by signing a proclamation to start the Camp-Out.
Participating campers and chaperones were selected from urban neighborhoods and youth groups. From “Camping 101” and stargazing to catching frogs and fishing activities, and of course s’mores, campers had a once-in-a-lifetime outdoor experience. All camping gear and equipment was provided by founding sponsor The Coleman Company, Inc. which donated $31,000 of camping gear to the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism for its first-time campers program. Participants were able to take home their new sleeping bags and backpacks.
CFS Engineers and Capitol Federal also sponsored the event, providing hearty meals for the participants and volunteers.
Everyone enjoyed seeing the 27’ Smokey Bear Cold Air Static Balloon (Friends of Smokey Bear Balloon); touring Coleman’s 100
Anniversary Travelling Museum; and getting up close and personal with USDA Forest Service “spokesbear” and American icon, Smokey Bear.
KDWPT thanks the many companies, volunteers and staff members who worked tirelessly to make the event a success, including:
- The Coleman Company
- Walmart Stores, Inc.
- American Recreation Coalition
- CFS Engineers
- Capitol Federal
- Westar Energy
- Kansas Highway Patrol
- Kansas Wildscape Foundation
- National Park Service
- Boy Scouts of America, Jayhawk Area Council
- Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas and Northwest Missouri
- AmeriCorp members
- Shawnee County Parks and Recreation
- Kansas Forest Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Friends of El Dorado Lake
- National Association of State Parks Directors
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Keep America Beautiful – Topeka/Shawnee County
- Shawnee County Solid Waste
- Kansas Hunter Education Instructors Association
- Russell Stover
- MacLennan Park Board
- Skinner Garden Store
- American Medical Response
- Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods