Hamilton State Fishing Lake
Located in the shortgrass prairie of western Kansas, this property is composed of a 94 acre lake bed including approximately 12 acres of riparian timber, 338 acres of upland shortgrass prairie surrounding the lake bed and 226 acres of CRP. Current managament of the area consists of upland game and deer habitat enhancement for public hunting. However, when water is present, fish are stocked as soon as possible to provide angling opportunities. Camping, hiking and bird watching are also common activities on the area.
Hunting: The wildlife area offers the opportunity to hunt a wide variety of game species, including mule and white-tailed deer, ring-necked pheasants, rabbit, mourning dove, waterfowl (when water is present) and several furbearer species. Annual food plots are established adjacent to and in the drainage when precipitation patterns allow.
Fishing: Located in an area of Kansas that averages only 18" of precipitation per year, the lake is dry more often than not. In most years, the body of water present (if any) is a shallow pool confined to the lake bottom and several beaver dams located in the upper end of the drainage. When enough water is present in the lake to support long-term fish survival, the lake is stocked with Channel Catfish, Largemouth Bass and Sunfish. Stocking is totally dependent on the availability of water and fish.
KDWP Reg 3 Office Phone: 620-227-8609
Location: Hamilton State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area is located three miles north and three miles west of Syracuse, in Hamilton County.
Hamilton State Fishing Lake Recent Updates:
- The low water crossing located at north end of the property is cureently closed for repairs.
- Participating in Salt Cedar control pilot program with KS Water Office. The plan is to begin aerial spraying of salt cedar in September 2008, then come back in with on-ground followup in areas not conducive to aerial treatment.
- Open fires are not permitted.
- Vehicles must remain on established gravel roads or parking areas.
- Off-road driving is prohibited.
- A no-trash policy is in effect for the area. Therefore, no trash receptacles are available.
- Camping is permitted; however only primitive facilities are available on the area.
- Consult area information boards or the area manager for additional information concerning rules and regulations.
The state fishing lake and surrounding property was obtained in 1956 for the development of a recreational fishing lake. In 1990, an additional 226 acres of CRP grassland was added as a 50 year conservation easment through a cooperative agreement between Tracy Farms, FmHA and KDWP. The easement property was addeed to supplement the limited amount of public hunting property located in western Kansas. The easement will remain in effect until the year 2040, at which time it will return to the heirs of the current landowner.
- Type of Cabin: Boat Ramp
- Location of Facility: 38.027474 -101.817845
Click for more information
Concrete boat ramp
- Type of Cabin: Vault Toilet
- This facility is ADA accessible
- Location of Facility: 38.026871 -101.818757
Click for more information
ADA compliant unisex vault toilet.