WILDLIFE & PARKS COMMISSION MEETING OCT. 14 IN GOODLAND
Spring turkey, fishing regulations to highlight public hearing
TOPEKA — The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing on Oct. 14 at the Goodland Elks Lodge, 1523 Arcade in Goodland. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. and recess at 5 p.m., and the evening public hearing will begin at 7 p.m.
The afternoon session will begin with overviews of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks’ (KDWP) fiscal status, followed by a general discussion period on the following topics:
- South Fork and St. Francis wildlife areas;
- the Arikaree Breaks;
- Lake Atwood renovation and fishing opportunities in northwest Kansas;
- chronic wasting disease update;
- Kansas Coalition for Children in Nature (kcn.ksoutdoors.com) – executive order;
- Voluntary Public Access-Habitat Incentive Program (“Open Fields”) — grant update;
- KAR 115-25-5, turkey — fall season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-7, antelope — open season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-8, elk — open season, bag limit, and permits; and
- KAR 115-25-Series — deer regulations.
The afternoon will also include a workshop session discussion, in preparation for potential future regulatory action, of preliminary recommendations on the following topics:
- big game permanent regulations; and
- potential regulation changes to address aquatic nuisance species (ANS) and ANS outreach efforts.
The commission will recess at 5 p.m., then reconvene at 7 p.m. at the same location for the evening public hearing on the following regulations:
- KAR 115-25-6, turkey — spring season, bag limit, permits, and game tags;
- K.A.R. 115-2-3, camping and utilities fees;
- KAR 115-2-3a, cabin camping permit fees;
- KAR 115-2-1, amount of fees — hunting and fishing permit/license combination packages, multi-year youth licenses;
- KAR 115-7-1, fishing — legal equipment, methods of taking, and other provisions;
- K.A.R. 115-7-8, bass fishing tournaments;
- K.A.R. 115-7-9, black bass fishing tournaments — weigh-in not using tournament black bass pass;
- K.A.R. 115-18-20, tournament bass pass — requirements, restrictions, and pass duration; and
- KAR 115-25-14, fishing — creel limit, size limit, possession limit, and open season.
Time will be set aside in both the afternoon and evening sessions for public comment on topics that are not on the agenda. If necessary, the commission will recess on Oct. 14 and reconvene at the same location at 9 a.m., Oct. 15, to complete unfinished business.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission secretary at 620-672-5911.