Goodman State Fishing Lake
Goodman State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area is located 5 miles south and 2.5 miles east of Ness City, KS. The area contains a 40 acre lake and 225 acre upland wildlife area.
Fishing opportunities at Goodman are great with the potential to catch largemouth bass, channel catfish, bluegill, and redear. Because of water level conditions largemouth bass and channel catfish growth fluctuate but are generally in good condition. However, the bluegill and redear enthusiasts should have no trouble catching a nice stringer of panfish. The lake is currently full. 10/9/2018. In 2018 a the old courtesy dock was replaced with a new one.
Because the property is a relatively recent acquisition hunters will find the area to be somewhat limited in hunting potential. This is primarily the result of the lack of habitat diversity on the area. However, the hunter should be able to scare up an occasional pheasant or quail in the foodplot and tree plantings site along the west edge of the property. Hunting opportunity and success can only get better as more habitat diversity is added to the area through additional tree and shrub plantings.
The lake is a prime spot for picnicking, camping (primitive), general outdoor recreation. Picnic shelters with tables are available for group activities and are located within easy walking distance of the parking areas. The boat ramp, dumpster, and toilet facility are also located nearby for visitor convenience.
- Vehicles are allowed on maintained roads and in the parking areas only.
- Special creel and length limits may be in effect for some fish species. Please check Kansas Fishing Regulations Summary and all posted notices prior to fishing.
- All regulations pertaining to state fishing lakes are in effect for this area.
The 265 acre property is owned by the Wet Walnut Watershed District No. 58. The property is managed by the state, but is in a cooperative agreement with the Watershed District and Ness County. The Soil Conservation Service provided assistance in construction of the lake.
- Type of Facility: Dock
- This facility is ADA accessible
- Location of Facility: N38 23 12.65 W99 51 09.68
- Type of Facility: Vault Toilet
- Location of Facility: N38 23 12.63 W99 51 12.91
- Type of Facility: Boat Ramp
- Location of Facility: N38 23 18.58 W99 51 17.96
Click for more information
This boat ramp is located on the area for hunting and fishing only