BLIZZARD USHERS IN NEW SEASON AT KANSAS STATE PARKS
Springtime entices park visitors to enjoy the outdoors as snow melts
PRATT -- While the most severe blizzard to hit parts of Kansas in decades may have come the last week of March, warm weather will soon make this event a fleeting memory, enticing Kansans across the state to visit their favorite state parks. To enhance these visits, park staff conduct a variety of special events. Some events are scheduled in conjunction with Free Park Entrance Days, some celebrate a special historical event or geological attribute of an individual park, and others are just for entertainment. Each park sets its own dates for these events.
Events may include anything from a marathon race to boating courses and equestrian events. Many are educational and all make visiting Kansas state parks more fun. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the "State Parks" page of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column.
The following is a list of events for April:
- April 3-4 -- youth turkey hunt at Glen Elder State Park;
- April 4 -- VFW Post 10815 fishing tournament Perry State Park;
- April 4 -- Kansas UltraRunners 11th Annual Rockin' K Trail 50-mile trail run and trail marathon at Kanopolis State Park;
- April 5 -- Crappie Busters fishing tournament at Perry State Park;
- April 5 -- Kansas State University Cycling Club bike race at Tuttle Creek State Park;
- April 8 -- Dick's Bass Tournament at Hillsdale State Park;
- April 18-19 -- "Angling Nebraska" bass tournament at Cedar Bluff State Park;
- April 18 -- OK Kids Day outdoor education program at Lovewell State Park;
- April 19 -- Dick's Bass Tournament at Hillsdale State Park;
- April 19 -- mountain bike, running, and paddling race at Wilson State Park;
- April 22 -- Free Park Entrance Day, Earth Day, OK Kids Day at Cross Timbers State Park;
- April 25-26 -- Free Park Entrance Days at Cheney State Park;
- April 25-26 -- Free Park Entrance Days at Kanopolis State Park; and
- April 25 -- Blue Knights Kansas VIII Chapter Motorcycle Ride Fundraiser at Hillsdale State Park.