Permits allow purchaser to take any deer, in addition to any other permit they may have
PRATT — The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks has announced that two Commission Big Game permits have yet to be sold. Each year, seven such permits are awarded through a drawing by the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission to conservation organizations in the state, which sell the permits as fund-raising tools.

These are the only permits nonresidents may obtain that allow the take of a mule deer buck with a rifle, and this is also the only way anyone can obtain a second permit that allows the take of a deer of either sex. These permits are good statewide, for any season, with legal equipment for that season.

Anyone interested in these permits should contact the following organizations:

Pheasants Forever – Ottawa
Jordan Martincich
1740 S Willow St
Ottawa, KS 66067

Friends of NRA - Cowley County #KS-12
Rick Chrisman, Field Rep
PO Box 386
Paola, KS 66071

Commission big game permits were first awarded in 2006. Winners purchase the permits and typically auction them off at their respective conventions and banquets to raise funds for conservation projects. After the price of the permit is deducted, 15 percent of permit sales proceeds go to the local organization's chapter, and 85 percent goes to fund Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks-approved conservation projects.