Celebrate the 4th of July Holiday at a Kansas State Park
PRATT – It’s not too late to make 4th of July holiday plans. Select Kansas state parks are hosting Independence Day celebrations that will rival big-city fireworks displays, and you won’t have to fight huge crowds to watch them, either! You’ll just need a daily vehicle permit, $5, that can be purchased at the park’s entrance.
Below is a list of Kansas state parks offering special events during the 4th of July holiday weekend. Remember to park in designated areas only, and that it’s illegal to ignite personal fireworks unless the state park manager has designated a special area.
For additional information on Kansas state parks, call the park office (see contact information here: ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations) or visit travelks.com.
- El Dorado State Park (El Dorado, KS): Load up the family and head to El Dorado State Park’s Bluestem Bait Shop, 3158 NE Bluestem Point Rd., for an afternoon car show, watermelon feed, craft booths and live music! Festivities kick off at 10 a.m. For park information, call (316) 321-7180.
- Pomona State Park (Vassar, KS): Join Pomona State Park staff for a 4th of July horseshoe tournament! All ages are welcome to participate in the tournament, kicking off at 2 p.m. For park information, call (785) 828-4933.
- Pomona State Park (Vassar, KS): Set out some folding chairs or a blanket, and watch a stunning fireworks display at Pomona State Park, beginning at dusk. For park information, call (785) 828-4933.
- Cross Timbers State Park (Toronto, KS): Enjoy food truck services, available at 4 p.m., while waiting for the area’s highly-anticipated fireworks display, beginning just after sunset. For park information, call (620) 637-2213.
- Glen Elder State Park (Glen Elder, KS): It’s the first-ever Waconda LakeFest! Kick off your Saturday with a family fun run, followed by yard games, a dueling pianos concert and more. Then, sit and relax as you watch the area fireworks display beginning at 9:30 p.m. near the Osage area. For park information, call (785) 545-3345.
- Lovewell State Park (Webber, KS): Grab the family and some lawn chairs – a classic Independence Day fireworks display will be firing off at 9 p.m. from the park’s Walleye Point area. For park information, call (785) 753-4971.
- Webster State Park (Stockton, KS): Burgers, hotdogs, and pork-on-a-stick are all on the menu for a free-will donation barbeque event starting at 5:30 p.m. After getting your fill of these yummy foods, kick back and relax before enjoying the area fireworks display popping off at 10 p.m. For park information, call (785) 425-6775.
- Milford State Park (Milford, KS): Lace up your tennis shoes for the 2019 S’mores Family Fun Run beginning at 7 p.m.! Participation in this run is free, and runners can choose their preferred distance – 5k, 1-mile walk/run, or the kids-only dash. Finish line fun will include campfire s'mores and giveaways. For park information, call (785) 238-3014.
- Pomona State Park (Vassar, KS): Come enjoy live music from Shawn Ward – a classic rock and roll artist who will be performing from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. at Boat Ramp #1. For details, call (785) 828-4933.