Ottawa State Fishing Lake
Ottawa State Fishing Lake’s primary purpose is to provide quality fishing opportunities. Recreational pursuits compatible with this purpose are also encouraged.
The lake has a good population of black bass, channel catfish, crappie, and sunfish. Saugeye and wipers have been stocked recently as additional predators for crappie and gizzard shad control. The lake has a few big flatheads and enough carp to provide some line tugging action. Ten earthen fishing piers and active shoreline maintenance provide good fishing access.
Lotus pads provide excellent habitat for fish and lanes are mowed through aquatic vegetation to increase angler access. Brush piles are maintained to concentrate fish and make excellent crappie fishing spots.
Channel catfish populations are maintained with annual stockings of 8-12” fish. Three automatic fish feeders are operated from May through October to enhance catfish growth.
The lake has two boat ramps and courtesy docks. Motorized boats are welcome on the lake but must be operated for fishing purposes at no wake speeds only.
LOG FISHING CABIN
If you do not want to drag your camper or rough it in a tent, a log cabin is available for rent. Sleeping room for six with a refrigerator, stovetop, microwave, shower and restroom facilities will add comfort to your trip. Bring own bedding and toiletries. Nightly rates are $60 plus deposit. Contact the Region 1 Office in Hays, KS for details and reservations.
Free primitive camping is allowed in designated areas only around the lake. Fourteen days maximum per stay. No utilities are offered for RVs.
In addition to white tail deer and turkey, 200-300 Canada geese winter here. Alert visitors during the winter months will also periodically see a bald eagle. Wildlife viewing and photography opportunities exist year-round on the lake and wildlife area.
Deer, turkey, quail, pheasant, squirrel, and rabbit are pursued on 210 acres open to public hunting. Due to the small area and surrounding housing developments, hunting opportunities are limited. For safety purposes, hunting is limited to shotgun and archery only.
There are three vault toilets, numerous picnic tables and fire rings, and a large reservable group shelter house on the area. There are no public showers, trash bins or utility hook-ups.
2013 DOVE HUNTING - MANAGED FIELDS AT OTTAWA
The North Sunflower Field is 4.4 acres. The South Sunflower Field is 6.5 acres. They are both mowed strips. Not toxic shot. Open to all hunters throughout the season.
A google earth map of the fields is available by clicking the link below.
Wilson Area Office: (785) 658-2465 Ext. 3
Located about 25 miles north of Salina on US-81, and 8 miles east on KS-106. It is also approximately 9.5 miles east of Minneapolis, KS on KS-106.
A Google Earth Map is now available for the entire area.
- Boats must be operated for fishing purposes and at no wake speeds only
- Campfires are allowed in fire rings only.
- No camping on fishing piers.
- Please help keep the area clean and reduce maintenance costs by taking your trash with you.
- A refuge/special hunt area has been developed to increase wildlife use and improve quality hunting opportunities on the area. Approximately 340 acres on the north and west sides of the property are designated as a refuge/special hunt area and are closed to public access except by special permit from October 1 through March 1 each year.
- Special hunting opportunities are available by draw though the Kansas Special Hunts program on portions of this area normally closed to hunting. Check out the agency website for more information.
Construction began by a private individual in 1927 and was completed in 1929.
If you do not want to drag your camper or rough it in a tent, a log cabin is available for rent. Sleeping room for six with a refrigerator, stovetop, microwave, shower and restroom facilities will add comfort to your trip. Bring own bedding and toiletries. Nightly rates are $70 plus deposit. Contact the Region 1 Office in Hays, KS, for details and reservations.
- Type of Cabin: Modern Cabin
- This facility is ADA accessible
- Location of Facility: 39.108355 -97.574312
- This Facility is Reservable. Check availability and reserve Log Fishing Cabin
Click for more information
Sleeping room for six with a refrigerator, stove top, microwave, shower and restroom facilities will add comfort to your trip. Bring own bedding and toiletries. Nightly rates are $70 plus deposit. Contact the Region 1 Office in Hays, KS for details and reservations.
Located on the west side of the lake off of K-106.