Education, Exhibition, Collection, and Salvage Permits

Box Turtle

Any person wishing to collect any wildlife, protected by law or rules and regulations of the Secretary of the Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, for scientific, educational, or exhibition purposes must obtain a Scientific, Educational, or Exhibition Permit unless wildlife is otherwise allowed to be collected or harvested under the provisions of a valid hunting, furharvester, or fishing license or other special permit or license.

Collection activities in association with Aquatic Nuisance Species (ANS)

Since many individuals and/or institutions collect statewide, there is a high probability that these collection activities will occur in areas of known occurrences of ANS. In an effort to prevent the inadvertent transport of these organisms to other areas, it is therefore necessary to take steps in preventing their further spread.

Individuals receiving a collection permit should take a few moments to familiarize themselves with the various types of ANS they may encounter and implement a few very simple measures in the decontamination and reporting of such incidents. The following is a link providing such information.

Aquatic Nuisance Species Information

Here are some simple steps to follow; the webpage goes into greater detail about the various species and a FAQ section that will help answer common questions.

  1. Drain all water from equipment (i.e. sampling gear, boats, livewells, bilges, bait buckets, hauling boxes, etc) before leaving the area. 
  2. Inspect boat and/or other equipment and remove any plants, animals, or mud.
  3. Wash equipment with 140 degree water (typically at a carwash), a 10 percent chlorine and water solution, or a hot saltwater solution, OR let equipment dry for 5 days before using in another waterbody.

These procedures are meant to protect those species that many permitees have taken an interest in preserving or conserving. These simple procedures offer another tool to the collector that aids in insuring the continuance of our irreplaceable native species present in our aquatic systems.

For the purpose of these permits:

  1. ANS may NOT be kept alive if collected 
  2. ANS may NOT be returned from the area they were collected from
  3. The permitee will report the finding 

Further questions and comments should be directed to the following individuals.

Chris Steffen, ANS Coordinator
KDWPT Emporia Research Office, Emporia, KS
(620) 342-0658

Mark Van Scoyoc, Stream Survey Coordinator, Scientific Collection permits
KDWPT Operations Office, Pratt, KS
(620) 672-5911

The regulations regarding the Scientific, Educational, or Exhibition Permit including applications, reporting, and general provisions. Additional rules may exist in statute. Applicable Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism statutes can be found at the Information Network of Kansas' homepage: . KDWPT statutes are primarily listed in Chapter 32.

Downloadable application for a Collecting Permit to collect species for scientific, educational, or exhibition purposes. You must use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox to download the form. It will not work with Chrome. This form is not compatible with Mac computers. Please print and mail the application if you use a Mac.

Year-end reporting of all species collected under said permit is required. You can go to the Report Form link by clicking here.

Collection Permit Application (PDF - 1.64 MB)

Applications are to be submitted electronically. If you prefer to provide payment information via phone, please call 620-672-5911, Ext 120 or 110.

Click to download the Collection Permit Application. Save the file to your computer to open the file. 

Downloadable form for reporting the species collected using a Collecting Permit. Reports may be submitted electronically.

Information regarding threatened and endangered species and species in need of conservation including state lists, county lists, and specific species information such as habitat requirements and areas of designated critical habitats.

All new documented occurrences of threatened and endangered species, species in need of conservation, or extremely rare species observed in a new location in Kansas can be recorded using the following form. This information should then be submitted to the endangered species coordinator at the address provided on the form.

Activities that do not require a Scientific, Educational, or Exhibition Permit might require other permits. For the applicability of other potential permit requirements follow the links below.

Additional rules may exist in statute. Applicable Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks statutes can be found at the Information Network of Kansas' homepage: KDWP statutes are primarily listed in Chapter 32.

Mark Van Scoyoc, Stream Monitoring Program Coordinator

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Environmental Services Section
512 SE 25th Avenue
Pratt, KS67124
620-672-2972 (fax)

Secure code