Wildlife Damage Control

Nuisance Wildlife Damage Control

Nuisance Wildlife Damage Control is a program that is governed by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. It is designed to help citizens find someone who is knowledgeable in wildlife damage control. For further information click here.

Deer Damage Control

Site-specific assistance is available from any district wildlife biologist (DWB) or natural resources officer (NRO) from the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT). Permits authorizing lethal control measures and possession of a deer carcass outside normal deer hunting seasons may be issued by any DWB or NRO. For further information click here.

Nuisance Wildlife Damage Control

 Nusiance Wildlife Damage Control is an important part of wildlife management on your own land. For more information please click on the following link. The Importance of Wildlife Control

 Nusiance Wildlife Damage Control is a program that is governed by the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks. It is designed to help citizens find someone who is knowledgeable in this control. A list of Nuisance Wildlife Damage Control permit holders by region is available below our office and county information. Please refer to the following map to find what region you are in.

Regional Offices

Please refer to the list of the permittees in the following Regions.  Note - there may be a fee charged by the permittees for this service.


 If you would be interested in becoming a Nusiance Wildlife Animal Controller, there is an

 required and a test. The course work is self-directed. The test is open book - 100 multiple choice questions. The test can be taken at your local County Extension Office. If the test is passed with an 80% or higher, it is valid for 5 years. An application is required every year.

 The permit is valid from the date of issue through Dec. 31. There is a report that is turned in at the end of the year with the activity done under the permit for that year. The permit (and test) are free of charge.

 The regulations are on our webpage (Click Here) if you want to read them prior to requesting the application. Here is the link to the regulations 115-16-01, 115-16-02, 115-16-03, 115-16-04, 115-16-05, 115-16-06. Wildlife Damage Control Regulations

 For further information about Wildlife Damage Management please refer to the following link:

Univ of Nebraska - The Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management

 If you have any questions, please contact the Fisheries & Wildlife Division at the Pratt Operations Office, or contact the Regional Office closest to you.

Wildlife Damage Control Training Manual (PDF - 1.73 MB)

This manual may be printed and taken to the exam site and used during the testing. Please note: to assure you have the most recent regulations, please refer to the Wildlife Damage Control Regulations link above. This will take you directly to the most current regulations pertaining to NADC.

Deer Damage Control Permits

This page outlines lethal control options landowners may use to address deer damage. Site-specific assistance is available from any district wildlife biologist (DWB) or natural resource officer (NRO) from the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP). Permits authorizing lethal control measures and possession of a deer carcass outside normal deer hunting seasons may be issued by any DWB or NRO.

Deer Damage Hotline: 1-888-497-8661
Deer Herd


Deer are protected as a valuable public resource by state law and regulations. Provisions are authorized to allow for wise use of this resource. Deer management in Kansas is directed by long-range planning that includes input from citizens of the state as well as wildlife professionals. The goal established through this process is: “...to manage the deer population at levels consistent with existing habitat and landowner tolerance, and to provide for recreation use.”


The Bill of Rights of the Kansas Constitution provides landowners with rights to protect their property. These rights may be applied to deer damaging crops. Both court decisions and Attorney General Opinions have shown that these rights are not without limitations. The landowner must demonstrate that deer are causing substantial damage to property. KDWP staff will consider any visible current deer damage to be substantial in this context.

Regulation K.A.R. 115-16-4 authorizes the Secretary of Wildlife and Parks to issue deer control permits. This regulation provides landowners with a legal means of controlling deer and using the meat of deer that are killed during this operation. The permits are intended to address localized problems. DWBs and COs are responsible for working with landowners in implementing the use of deer damage control permits.


  • The landowner contacts the nearest KDWP office. A KDWP staff member will contact the landowner within five working days of notification of a deerdamage situation.
  • The damage area will be inspected by the landowner and DWB or CO.
  • If control permits are needed, an application will be prepared and damage control permits will be issued quickly.
  • Each deer damage control permit is written for a specific case. When authorized, the permits will allow the landowner to kill a prescribed number of deer on the property.
  • Taking antlerless deer will be emphasized during control operations.
  • Permits and possession tags will be assigned to the landowner and the landowner will be responsible for the control operation.
  • The landowner may issue the permits, without cost, to a designated person(s), who may act as the control agent.
  • A designated agent must be a Kansas resident and must have a Kansas hunting license, unless exempt.
  • Landowners will be required to follow prescribed procedures and to report on the results of their control efforts.
  • As a condition for receiving deer damage control permits, the landowner must agree to allow firearms deer hunting on their property during that year’s regular
    or extended firearms deer season.
  • Hunter access to the landowner’s property is at the landowner’s discretion and by landowner permission.


A deer damage control permit is not the answer to all situations where landowners are experiencing damage. Some situations will continue to attract deer, even when many have been removed. Certain high-value crops, such as orchards and nurseries, may not be effectively protected using firearms and damage control permits. Fencing to exclude deer from these areas may be more cost effective than attempting to shoot deer as they enter the area.


The most effective and efficient means for controlling excessive deer populations and the resulting damage they cause is through harvesting deer during established hunting seasons. This approach can place sufficient hunters in the field to harvest deer over a wide area. Regulation of permit numbers and permit types available to hunters ensures that sustained harvests will occur; however, local deer populations still may develop that detrimentally affect some agricultural producers. Deer control permits may be used to address these situations.

Deer population growth is influenced by the number of does in the population and the quality of the habitat available to them. The KDWP stresses the importance of harvesting antlerless deer in order to regulate the growth of the population.

Landowners are encouraged to cooperate with regular hunting season efforts to control deer populations, encouraging neighbors to allow a sufficient harvest on their lands. Allow legal hunters permission to hunt on your property, and encourage hunters to take antlerless deer in areas that are experiencing crop damage. Occasionally deer move substantial distances (5-15 miles) between the croplands they use in the summer and heavy cover they use in the winter. Therefore, it is necessary for landowners to work together in addressing deer damage problems. KDWP staff is available for consultation regarding the need for such cooperation.

For further information concerning deer damage control permits and other control measures, contact your local District Wildlife Biologist, Conservation Officer, or a KDWP office near you ( Locations ).

Damage Control Permits (PDF 648.09 kB)