LOVEWELL FUN DAY AUG. 2 ONE OF MANY AUGUST PARK EVENTS
Celebration highlights include archery shoot, mud volleyball, log races, cook-off
PRATT -- The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) and Lovewell Marina at Lovewell State Park are sponsoring the annual Lovewell Fun Day on Saturday, Aug. 2. Events begin with registration for a 3-D archery shoot from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. The tournament will conclude by 11 a.m. Participants will shoot in divisions determined by age and release type (fingers and mechanical). A $5 donation is requested.
A co-ed (3 men/3 women) mud volleyball tournament begins at 10 a.m. for a $10 entry fee per team, 16 team limit. Pre-registration for the mud volleyball tournament is requested as soon as possible.
Other events scheduled for the Fun Day include minnow races at 10 a.m., log races at noon, a water balloon toss at 2 p.m., a waterslide contest at 3 p.m., and a Frisbee-throwing contest at 4 p.m. These events are for all ages.
An outdoor cook-off will be held at the Pioneer Day Use Area. Chefs must register by 2 p.m. at the park office. Judges will include the first 100 people who contribute $5 donations for a taste-testing ticket. Donations are used for prizes at Lovewell State Park’s special events throughout the year. Judging tickets will be available at the cook-off area at 5 p.m. Judging will start at 6 p.m. and end by 6:30 p.m.
For more information, contact Lovewell State Park, 785-753-4971. A vehicle permit is required to enter the park. Daily permits are $4.20; annual permits are $24.70.
As summer winds down, Kansans are making the most of state parks before school starts. In addition to Lovewell Fun Day, other August events are planned at parks across the state. For more information on these events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the "State Parks" page of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column.
The following is a list of Kansas state park (SP) events for August:
- Aug. 2 -- catfish tournament at Eisenhower State Park;
- Aug. 2 -- "Kansas Kritter" educational presentation at Scott State Park;
- Aug. 2 -- Sixth Annual Star Party at Fall River State Park;
- Aug. 6 -- bass Tournament at Hillsdale State Park;
- Aug. 10 -- Waconda Lake Association catfish tournament at Glen Elder State Park;
- Aug. 14-15 -- Rooks County Fair at Webster State Park;
- Aug. 16-17 -- free vehicle entry weekend at Clinton State Park;
- Aug. 16 -- Jackpot Buddy bass fishing tournament at Wilson State Park;
- Aug. 16-17 -- Campground Christmas lighting contest at Lovewell State Park;
- Aug. 16 -- Milford Lake Extreme Outdoor Water Festival at Milford State Park;
- Aug. 16 -- O.K. Kids Day at Clinton State Park;
- Aug. 17 -- Backlashers Bass Club bass tournament at Hillsdale State Park;
- Aug. 23-24 -- OK Kids Day, free vehicle entrance weekend at Tuttle Creek State Park;
- Aug. 23 -- Women on Target shooting event at Tuttle Creek State Park;
- Aug. 23 -- Red Cross "Ride For The Red" motorcycle ride at Hillsdale State; and
- Aug. 23 -- 4th District VFW "Purple Heart Outing" at Tuttle Creek State Park.