KDWP not receiving applications; deadline Jan. 1
PRATT — The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) has announced that conservation organizations need to apply for Commission Big Game permits soon if they hope to take advantage of this fund-raising tool. Commission Big Game permits are available for qualified conservation organizations, but as of Dec. 21, few applications have been submitted.

Commission Big Game permits are available only to local chapters of nonprofit organizations based or operating in Kansas that actively promote conservation and the hunting and fishing heritage. Applications must be submitted no later than Jan. 1, 2011. Winners will be drawn at the Jan. 6, 2011, meeting of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission at the Dole Institute of Politics, 2350 Petefish Drive in Lawrence.

Commission permits were authorized by the 2005 Kansas Legislature. KDWP may issue as many as seven commission permits annually, including no more than one elk permit and one antelope permit, with the remainder designated statewide Either-Species/Either Sex Deer permits.

The permits are valid for the 2011 hunting seasons and may be sold by participating organizations in auctions or raffles to raise funds for conservation projects. Eighty-five percent of the proceeds from the organizations’ sales of the permits must be used in conservation projects approved by KDWP. Organizations can keep 15 percent of the proceeds for their own designated uses.

Information and applications are available from Sheila Kemmis, 620-672-5911, or online at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Click "Other Services/Publications/Hunting," and then "2011 Commission Big Game Permit Application."