WILDLIFE & PARKS COMMISSION MEETING APRIL 22 IN WICHITA
Fall big game and turkey regulations to highlight evening public hearing
TOPEKA — The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission invites all interested persons to attend a public meeting and hearing on April 22 at the Great Plains Nature Center, 6232 E. 29th Street North (29th and Woodlawn) in Wichita. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m., and the evening public hearing will begin at 7 p.m.
The afternoon session will begin with overviews of Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) fiscal status, as well as progress of department-related action in the 2010 Kansas Legislature. In addition, the session will include discussion of Kansas involvement in the National Outdoor Recreation Database; fishing regulations; chronic wasting disease update; pre-rut deer firearm season; lead reduction in hunting ammunition; concealed firearms carry, open carry, and use of sound suppressors for hunting; and late migratory bird seasons.
The afternoon portion of the meeting will also include workshop session discussion, in preparation for potential future regulatory action, of preliminary recommendations on the following topics:
- early migratory bird seasons;
- KAR 115-25-9a — deer: Fort Riley deer season dates, either species antlerless permits, and season dates for special extended white-tailed deer antlerless season;
- KAR 115-25-9b — deer: nonresident limited-quota antlered permit application period;
- KAR 115-8-1 — public lands regulations reference document;
- KAR 115-14-Series — falconry regulations; and
- KAR 115-2-1 —price of Elk Hunt Own Land permits.
The commission will recess at 5 p.m., then reconvene at 7 p.m. at the same location for the evening public hearing. Topics on the agenda for the public hearing include the following:
- KAR 115-4-4 — big game: legal equipment and taking methods — ¾- inch minimum broadhead width and possession of non-broadhead tipped arrows by archery big game hunters;
- KAR 115-4-4a — wild turkey: legal equipment and taking methods — ¾- inch minimum broadhead width and possession of non-broadhead tipped arrows by archery turkey hunters;
- KAR 115-18-7 — use of crossbows for big game hunting by persons with disabilities, including application, permit, and general provisions;
- KAR 115-25-9 — deer: open season, bag limit, and permits;
- KAR 115-25-7 — antelope: open season, bag limit and permits; and
- KAR 115-25-8 — elk: open season, bag limit, and permits.
Time will be set aside in both the afternoon and evening sessions for public comment on topics that are not on the agenda. If necessary, the commission will recess on April 22 and reconvene at the same location at 9 a.m., April 23 to complete its business.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission secretary at 620-672-5911.