About Other Services

Other services provided by your Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks are included on this page. Education includes Hunter, Bowhunter, Furharvester, and Boater education programs, as well as the Wildlife Education Service. As part of the department's educational efforts, KDWP operates four wildlife education centers, including the Milford Nature Center near Junction City, the Great Plains Nature Center in Wichita. The department also operates the Prairie Center near downtown Olathe. The original department administration building, constructed near Pratt in 1912, is home for the Pratt Education Center and museum.

Law Enforcement will provide information about the 73 natural resource officers stationed throughout Kansas, as well as a complete listing of wildlife-related laws and regulations. If you have a question about regulations, want to know how to contact your local natural resource officer, or want to know what the toll-free Operation Game Thief hotline is, Law Enforcement is the section you want to choose.

The Information and Education Section produces more than 200 publications, from area maps, to regulation brochures, to full-color pamphlets and magazines. For a list of publications, as well as those that are available as PDF files, click here.

Wildlife Conservation Plan will take you to the comprehensive plan developed by KDWP staff so that our nongame wildlife programs qualify for federal funding available through the Wildlife Conservation and Restoration Program.

The Environmental Services Section largely deals with those wildlife resources categorized as nongame. Section functions include conducting environmental reviews for various types of activities to assess how these activities might affect threatened and endangered species. The section runs a stream assessment and monitoring program that documents the current range and distribution of stream species in Kansas. The section is responsible for Wildlife Diversity initiatives that promote and implement programs such as Chickadee Checkoff, State Wildlife Grants, and nature-based tourism. Section personnel also issue Education, Exhibition, Collecting, and Salvage Permits .

You can read the published reports on research and survey programs, or find out more about programs that provide private landowner assistance to landowners on how to improve wildlife habitat on their land.