Handfishing, for flathead catfish only, is legal from sunrise to sunset June 15 through Aug. 31 at three locations:
- the entire length of the Arkansas River in Kansas,
- all federal reservoirs from beyond 150 yards of the dam to the upper end of the federal property,
- and on the Kansas River from its origin downstream to its confluence with the Missouri River.
A special permit ($27.50) is required in addition to a fishing license. Anyone handfishing may not use:
- snorkeling or scuba gear,
- any other man-made device OR possess any fishing gear except a stringer.
- Stringers may not be used until the fish are caught by hand and are at or above the surface of the water.
- No man-made object — such as a barrel, box, or bathtub — may be used to attract fish.