Answers to some common questions.

If I have a boater education card from another state, do I have to also take a Kansas course?

answer: No, if the card you have is from a NASBLA approved course, we will accept that as meeting our education requirement. Make sure you are familiar with Kansas laws and requirements before you get on the water.

I forgot I needed Boating Education and I would like to go the lake this weekend. What do I do?

answer: The fastest way to receive your Boating Education Certificate is to take an internet course. There are four approved companies that we accept and these can be found on the Certification Options page.

I have an old paper Boating Education card and it's almost illegible from water, weather, and wear. Can I get a new one?

answer: Yes. If you took the home study course before 2006, you most likely were issued a paper card. New hard plastic cards were issued starting in 2006. Please see the replacement cards page for details.

I lost my card. How can I get a new one?

If you took the home study course or attended a class, call the Boating Education Coordinator at the Pratt Office at 620-672-0770. If you took an online course, you will need to contact the company who issued your original card. 

How long will it take to get my card once I send in my test?

During the summer months, cards are processed at least twice a week. During the winter months, it's about once a week. 

What is the minimum age to operate a boat in Kansas without supervision as long as the operator has passed an approved education course?

Depends on the type of boat. For a motorized vessel, including PWCs the minimum age is 12. For sailboats without a motor there is no minimum age. For paddle craft (kayaks, canoes, row boats) with no motor attached there is no minimum age and boater education is not required.