Registering Your Boat

All vessels powered by motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric), or sail, must be registered and numbered. The State of Kansas does not, however, title watercraft nor does it register or title motors.

Nonresidents using motorboats and sailing boats that are properly registered in another state may use their boats for up to 60 consecutive days without registering their boats in Kansas. Both in-state and out-of-state boats must have their Certificate of Number on board at all times. Boats that are required to be registered must be properly registered before they are operated.

Renewing registrations and the owner of the boat has not changed can be renewed online or in person at a State Park, a Regional Office, or one of our Boat Registration Agents. A registration can be also be renewed by mailing in the renewal notice and $42.50 to the Pratt operations office.

New owners can register their boat online or in person at a State Park, a Regional Office, a Boat Registration Agent or by filling out the Application for Certificate of Number Kansas Boating Act Form and mailing it with proper paperwork and the $42.50 registration fee to:

KDWPT Pratt Operations Office
ATTN: Boat Registration
512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, KS 67124 

Please provide a printed photo or pencil tracing of the HIN when registering your boat (New Owner).

All boats manufactured after 1972, should have a Hull Identification Number (HIN) and this HIN will be identified during the boat registration process. The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a 12-character number that uniquely identifies a boat and is formatted according to US Coast Guard standards.

Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) are typically located:

  • On sport and fishing boats, they can be found on the back right outside corner.
  • On pontoons, they can be found on the right side of the frame above the pontoon, but below the deck.
  • On personal watercrafts, they can be found under the seat as well as on the lip of the footrest.

Vessels manufactured before 1973 often do not have a HIN, so KDWPT will assign one if necessary.  

NOTICE TO ALL BOAT OWNERS: To avoid personal property tax penalties, please be certain to list your watercraft each year with the county appraiser on or before March 15th.

It is simple to obtain a duplicate Boat Registration or expiration decals.

Simply go to your nearest State Park , Regional Office , or send your request to Kansas Department Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. A $2.50 fee is required to receive a duplicate Boat Registration and/or expiration decals.

For More Information

When a vessel is sold, lost, stolen, destroyed, transferred, or abandoned the person whose name appears on the Certificate of Number shall notify the department in writing within 15 days by mail , e-mailfax  or completing the Notification of Change online at 

If you are selling your watercraft to an individual that will be registering it with the state of Kansas please provide them a bill of sale, we do not require a notary. If you are having trouble obtaining a bill of sale form feel free to use our standardized Bill of Sale that is linked at the bottom of the page.

If you are selling your watercraft to an individual that will be registering it in a state other than Kansas have them check the regulations for registering the boat in their state. Some states may require the bill of sale to be notarized and/or proof of Kansas registration. We have a standardized Bill of Sale with room for a notary linked at the bottom of this page. If they need a form stating Kansas does not title watercraft please contact us by mail ,  e-mail , or fax to provide this.

Standard KDWP Bill of Sale

Where do I attach the registration decals and assigned numbers?

Your assigned number must be painted or permanently attached to each side of the forward top half of the boat. Numbers must be vertical block characters at least three inches tall that read from left to right. They must contrast with the background color and be distinctly visible and legible. Spaces or hyphens equal to letter width must separate letter groupings and numeral groupings.

Your assigned number consists of the prefix letters KA, one to four numerals and two suffix letters. For example: KA 123 AA or KA-123-AA.

A registration decal will also be issued. This expiration decal remains on your boat for the duration of the three-year registration period. Attach the decal as instructed on the back of the renewal decal.

Boats registered in Kansas must display only current registration decals. Sailboards shall have the decal attached to the front half of the top of the sailboard. The registration numbers are not required to be displayed on the sailboard.

Kansas Boat Registrations expire every three years from the date of registration.

Renewal notices are mailed approximately six weeks prior to the expiration date. If you have a change of address or have not received a renewal notice by mail, please contact Boating Registration at Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks.


For More Information

The hull identification number (HIN) on all boats built after November 1, 1972 is permanently affixed to the rear of the transom usually on the upper right corner. It is required by federal law and must appear on the registration application.

The HIN consists of 12 letters and numerals at least one-quarter inch tall that indicate the manufacturer, hull serial numbers and/or letters, and model year and/or month.


Hull Identification Format

Key to Month of Production of Hull Identification Format


For Boat Registration and Unregistration Information in Kansas contact:

 KDWP Pratt Operation Office
 512 SE 25th Ave.
 Pratt, KS 67124
 Phone: (620) 672-5911
 Fax: (620) 672-3013

 Or use this Form to Email KDWP