Special Hunts Information
- Special Deer Hunts DO NOT Include Deer Permits or Tags. Special Hunts Only Provide Access to Properties - All other licenses, stamps and permits must be obtained by the successful applicant. NON-RESIDENTS must have drawn a deer permit to be eligible for Special Deer Hunts. Non-residents should check the deer management unit on their permit to match special hunt.
- Because of limited staff to handle phone calls, the best way to find out about special hunts is to contact by email: email@example.com.
LAST YEAR Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 SPECIAL HUNT YEAR
- Draw #1 (Hunts beginning in Sept. & Oct.): 1538 applications for 395 Hunt Permits (124 Hunts).
- Draw #2 (Hunts beginning in Nov., Dec. & Jan): 2,312 applications for 512 Permits (351 Hunts).
Special hunts are part of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism's "Recruitment and Retention" Program. These hunts are conducted on department lands, including state parks, wildlife areas, and refuges. The hunts also occur on Walk In Hunting Areas (WIHA's), National Wildlife Refuges, City and County properties, and other locations. These hunts limit the number of participants to ensure a quality experience or to achieve specific management goals such as herd reduction.
Special Hunts only provide access to specific properties. Licenses, Permits, Tags, Stamps, and Hunter Education Are Required unless exempt.
If you have questions, please contact Mike Nyhoff at our Hays Regional Office at 785-628-8614 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Because of limited staff to handle phone calls, please read the material on this page. If you still have questions, the best way to find out about special hunts is to contact us by email: email@example.com.
EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS WILL BE SENT for Successful and UnSuccessful Applicants. Make Sure You Have a VALID email Address. Please check security settings, junk and spam folders before contacting Special Hunts.
If You Want to Revise Your Sp. Hunt Application, or You Want to Change the Password:
- - Click on the "Special Hunts Application" or "View Special Hunts List" buttons
- - Use your User Name and Password to Log In,
- - The new page opens and in the upper right hand corner is "My Information"
- - Click there and you can change your password or any of the Sp. Hunt Selections.
All Applicants (Successful or UnSuccessful) will be Notified by Email
- Before beginning the application process please read the following file. This file explains Age restrictions, hunt type definitions and walks you through the process.
- You can view application instructions and information for 2018 hunts here
You can view a list of the hunts by clicking on the following button:
- To begin the online registration process, click the "Special Hunts Application" button below.
- Here you will either Login to an existing account or create a new account. (Save this account information, it will be used for deer check-in, turkey check-in, future special hunts applications, etc.)
- Once you are logged in you will fill out the following information. The information is required to continue the process.
- First Name
- Last Name
- City, State, Zip Code
- Phone Number
- Email - this is for draw notification, if you are selected for a hunt you will receive an email with a link to print off your permit. If you are not selected you will also receive an email
- Date of Birth - This needs to be the Date of Birth for the individual going on the hunt. Youth hunts are only for hunters sixteen years old or younger at the time of the hunt.
- Once you have filled out the information you must check the "Acknowledgment" box to verify that the information is correct.
- Once this box is checked, the "Select your choices" section(s) will appear. You are given three choices for each species that have hunts available during that season. During the first fall application period you can sign up for both Sept. - Oct. hunts as well as Nov. - Dec. hunts.
- To select a choice for a species click on the corresponding button "Select * Hunt Choice". * being the choice, 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
- This brings up the hunts list corresponding to the species and the season you are selecting. You can either click the corresponding "Select Hunt" button on a hunt from the list, or if you already know your hunt code, you can enter it in the Hunt Code box and click "Select Hunt".
- This returns you to the application and replaces the button you clicked with the hunt you selected. You will also see a checkbox located next to the hunt, labeled "Any Date". If you check this box it allows you to be in the drawing for any hunt for that location and hunt type, not just the date you selected. Giving you more of an opportunity to draw a hunt.
- Once you have selected all your hunts click "Select Hunts".
- NEW! To review or edit your current application, use the "My Information" link found on the upper right corner after login.
- There were 73 Spring Turkey Hunts with a Total of 154 Individual Permits
- There were 6 Leftover Permits (3 Youth and 3 Youth/Mentor Hunts) after the drawing.
- There were 28 Open Hunts, 19 Mentor Hunts and 26 Youth Hunts
- There were 538 Applications
- There were applicants from 20 States