Some waters require a permit whether fishing for trout or not

A new fishing regulation that went into effect Jan. 1 mandates that, during the Oct. 15-April 15 trout season, some waters stocked with trout require a trout permit ($12.15) whether fishing for trout or not. Anglers fishing other trout-stocked waters are required to have a permit only if fishing for trout. The daily creel limit is five trout unless otherwise posted. The possession limit is 15.

In addition to the trout permit, all residents 16 through 64 years old and non-residents 16 and older must also have a valid fishing license. Trout permits are available at offices of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, most county clerk offices, license vendors, or online. Permits are valid for the current calendar year.

The following is a list of waters where a trout permit is required of all anglers: Cedar Bluff Stilling Basin, Cimarron Grasslands Pits, Dodge City Lake Charles, Ft. Scott Gunn Park Lake, Garnett Crystal Lake, Glen Elder SP Pond, Kanopolis Seep Stream, KDOT East Lake in Wichita, Lake Henry in Clinton SP, Mined Land WA Unit #30, Pratt Centennial Pond, Sandsage Bison Range and WA Sandpits, Vic’s Lake and Slough Creek in Sedgwick County Park, Topeka Auburndale Park, Walnut River Area in El Dorado SP, and Webster Stilling Basin.

A trout permit is required only for trout anglers in the following lakes: Ft. Riley Cameron Springs, Great Bend Veterans Memorial Park Lake, Hutchinson Dillon Nature Center Pond, Kanopolis State Park Pond, Moon Lake on Fort Riley, Salina Lakewood Lake, Scott State Fishing Lake, Scott State Park Pond, Moss Lake and Horseshoe Lake in Sedgwick County Park, Sherman County Smoky Gardens Lake, and Solomon River between Webster Reservoir and Rooks County #2 Road.

In addition, trout fishing at Mined Land Wildlife Area Unit #30, in Cherokee County, and Tuttle Creek State Park Willow Lake requires a trout permit year-round.

Some local governments in areas such as Topeka and Kansas City have their own trout stocking programs. Many of these require a fee, but the state permit is not required. Local city and county recreation departments have details.

Approximate trout stocking dates and sites are available online.