Applications available online or by phone; deadline Jan. 5

Applications are now available for conservation organizations interested in applying for Commission Big Game permits. Information and applications are available by telephone request to Sheila Kemmis, 620-672-5911, or online at the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) website (click here, then on "2009 Commission Big Game Permit Application."

Applications must be submitted no later than Jan. 5, 2009. Winners will be drawn at the next meeting of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission, scheduled for Jan. 8 in Emporia.

Commission permits were authorized by the 2005 Kansas Legislature. KDWP may issue as many as seven commission permits annually, including no more than one elk permit and one antelope permit, with the remainder designated Either-Species Deer permits.

The permits are valid for the 2009 hunting seasons and will be sold by participating organizations in auctions or raffles to help raise funds for conservation projects. Eighty-five percent of the proceeds from the organizations’ sales of the permits must be used in conservation projects mutually-approved by KDWP. Organizations can keep 15 percent of the proceeds for their own designated uses.