Applications available at KDWP website

A program created by the Kansas State Legislature and administered by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) offers active members of the Kansas Army and Air National Guard who are Kansas residents the opportunity to receive free Kansas hunting and fishing licenses, as well as free state park permits.

Like other KDWP permits and licenses, 2009 National Guard permits will be available on Dec. 15, 2008, and will be valid for the remainder of 2008 and all of 2009. To receive free licenses and permits, Kansas guardsmen apply to KDWP’s Pratt Operations Office. Depending on the particular licenses and/or state park permits they request, they will be required to submit appropriate documentation.

Application forms for 2009 National Guard licenses and permits can be downloaded from the KDWP website. Click here, then on "Application KS 2009 National Guard Hunting, Fishing and Park Vehicle Permit." Applications may be sent in now, but licenses and permits will not be issued until after Dec. 15. The forms must be signed by the National Guard member’s unit commander and mailed to KDWP with photocopies of appropriate documentation.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2009, a portion of the program will be extended to include all Kansas veterans who have been certified by a physician as at least 30 percent disabled. Disabled veterans who enlisted as regular servicemen will be able to apply for free hunting and fishing licenses (not applicable for park permits). Those applications are also available on the KDWP website. Click here, then on "Application 2009 KS Disabled Hunting and Fishing License."