No mail-in applications accepted

PRATT -- The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) reminds all nonresident hunters that 2009 nonresident deer permit applications are due by midnight, June 1. All applications must be made online through the KDWP website, www.kdwp.state.ks.us. Downloadable mail-in applications are not available, and none will be accepted. This application applies to Nonresident White-tailed Deer permits only. Nonresident Hunt-Own-Land and Antlerless White-tailed Deer permits will be available July 13 over the counter.

Nonresident White-tailed Deer permits allow the taking of one white-tailed deer buck, doe, or fawn. The cost of the permit is $333.21, and if successful in the drawing, the applicant must also purchase a nonresident hunting license, $72.50, prior to hunting. The hunter applies in one deer management unit and may also select one adjacent unit in which to hunt. Applicants also select one equipment type and season choice (archery, muzzleloader, or firearm) at the time of application. Muzzleloader permit holders may hunt during early muzzleloader season and regular firearms season using muzzleloader equipment only. If unsuccessful in the draw, the hunter receives a $301 refund and a preference point for next year’s draw.

A nonresident who successfully draws an Archery or Muzzleloader White-tailed Deer permit in Unit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 16, 17, or 18 may also apply for one of a limited number of Mule Deer Stamps for an additional fee of $102.50, submitted at time of application; if drawn, the applicant’s archery or muzzleloader whitetail permit converts to an either-species/either-sex archery or muzzleloader permit. Preference points do not count toward this stamp. If unsuccessful in the Mule Deer Stamp draw, the hunter will receive a $101 refund and be issued the whitetail permit.

A nonresident hunter who doesn’t want to hunt in 2009 can purchase a preference point online for $21.50. The preference point will count toward a Nonresident White-tailed Deer permit in a future drawing.

To apply for a Nonresident White-tailed Deer permit click here. To learn more about permits you may qualify click here.