Be a Responsible Aquarium Owner
Responsible aquarium owners never release anything from their aquariums into or near a body of water, drainage ditch, or storm drain, including the water, fish, snails, plants or other living things. If they do, they know they could be harming the natural environment, and they could be breaking the law.
Here are some alternatives if you can no longer care for your aquarium:
- Contact a retailer for proper handling advice or for possible return
- Give or trade with another aquarist, pond owner, or water gardener
- Donate to a local aquarium society, school, or aquatic business
- Seal aquatic plants in plastic bags and dispose in the trash
- Contact a veterinarian or pet retailer for humane disposal guidance
- Know your state regulations regarding these alternatives
- If you can do nothing else, bury the occupants, and dump the water into the toilet or yard, far away from storm drains or drainage ditches.
Learn more about protecting our environment with responsible aquarium ownership at https://www.dontletitloose.com/