Hunting & Furharvester License


To view all Hunting Application and fees visit Application and Fees.

NEW FOR 2015


Dogs may be used to retrieve dead or wounded big game animals with the following restrictions: each dog shall be maintained on a hand-held leash at all times while tracking the big game animal; an individual tracking big game animals outside of legal shooting hours shall not carry equipment capable of harvesting the big game animal; and each individual harvesting a big game animal shall be limited to the equipment type for the permit and season that is authorized. Each individual participating in the tracking of a big game animal shall have a hunting license, unless the individual is exempt by law.


At designated wildlife areas, paper card daily hunt permits have been replaced with electronic hunt permits through iSportsman. The electronic permits will be more convenient for hunters and much less labor intensive for area managers. Information gathered through the permits helps managers to provide the best possible hunting opportunities.

Hunters can register to create a user-account at any time by logging on to Before hunting, a hunter simply checks in, providing a log-in ID online with a computer or smart phone or by phoning with a cell phone or landline. After the hunt, hunters use the same method to checkout and provide harvest information. To learn more, log on to or call (620) 672-5911 and ask for Public Lands. Several wildlife areas have been added to the list of those requiring hunters to obtain free Electronic Daily Hunt Permits: Benedictine Bottoms, Berentz/Dick, Bolton, Buck Creek, Cheyenne Bottoms, Clinton, Elwood, Hillsdale, Jamestown, Kansas River, La Cygne, Lovewell, Lyon, Marais des Cygnes, McPherson Wetlands, Melvern, Milford, Neosho, Noe, Perry, Texas Lake, Isabel, and Slate Creek Wetlands. The electronic permits will replace the paper card system currently in place.

All resident hunters age 16 through 74 must have a resident hunting license unless exempt. Nonresident hunters, regardless of age, must have a nonresident license. On Jan. 1, 2013, hunters 65-74 will be required to have a hunting license. They will be able to purchase a reduced-price lifetime combination hunting/fishing license or a half-price annual fishing, annual hunting, or combination annual license. (See "Hunting License Exemptions.")

Any person who has not been a legal resident of the state for 60 consecutive days is considered a nonresident for hunting license purchases. Proof that you are a legal Kansas resident may include voter registration card, income tax receipts, or driver's license.

Lifetime license holders are considered Kansas residents for hunting permits and tags, even if they no longer live in Kansas. One-year residency is required to apply for a lifetime license.

Hunters may purchase a special license that is valid only on controlled shooting areas.

Nonresidents who are full-time secondary, post-secondary or vocational students at Kansas schools and are living in Kansas may obtain resident hunting licenses and permits but must carry evidence of Kansas student status. They may NOT purchase lifetime licenses.


Kansas Laws (K.S.A. 32-929) provides that the Secretary of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism, upon submission of satisfactory proof thereof, shall issue free licenses to hunt, fish and trap to any person residing in the state who is at least one-sixteenth (1/16) Indian by blood and who is enrolled as an American Indian on a tribal membership roll which is federally recognized by the United States Dept. of Interior.

Any person hunting, fishing or trapping under the authority of this act shall be subject to the provisions of all rules and regulations relating to hunting, fishing or trapping and shall carry this Kansas Indian License upon his or her person and exhibit it upon demand of any Conservation Officer or other law enforcement officer.

To qualify and be issued a Kansas Indian License, a person must be 1) residing in the State of Kansas; 2) at least one-sixteenth (1/16) Indian by blood and enrolled as an American Indian on a tribal membership roll which is federally recognized by the United State Dept. of Interior; and 3) provide the Commission with acceptable proof of degree of Indian blood in the form of a legal document issued by the tribal office certifying the named person's degree of Indian blood.

If your birthday falls within the statutes for required hunter education and fur harvesting education you must have proof of education before being accepted.

A person qualifying under this Act and desiring to obtain a Kansas Indian License should contact Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks office and fill out an application form.



Anyone with a permanent physical disability that prevents him or her from hunting safely may apply for a Disability Assistance Permit. The permit allows a designated, licensed person to assist in the harvest of game while accompanying the permit holder. (This privilege also applies to fishing.) For more information or applications, contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism , Law Enforcement Division.
The person assisting the disabled person does not need a license.


Persons certified by a physician as having a permanent disability may be eligible for special permits allowing them to hunt from a parked vehicle or hunt big game with a crossbow or draw-locking device. For more information on these permits, contact a department regional office . Migratory game birds cannot be hunted from a vehicle (except a boat not under way), even with a disability permit.


The following persons are not required to have a hunting license:

  • owners of land or tenants of land leased for agriculture, and immediate family members living with resident landowners and resident or nonresident tenants, while hunting or furharvesting on this land;
  • legally-defined Native American Kansas residents (apply for free license);
  • nonresidents using field trial permits issued by KDWPT; and
  • residents 15 and younger or 75 and older.


A furharvester license is required to hunt, trap, or pursue (run) furbearing animals (see Page 31), or to sell their pelts. A furharvester license is required to trap coyotes, and a hunting license is required to hunt them. The same license required to take coyotes is required to sell their pelts. Unlicensed, non-participating observers may accompany a licensed furharvester but may not carry or use equipment, control dogs, or otherwise assist with furharvesting activities.

Residents under 15 years old may purchase a junior furharvester license at a reduced price.


The following persons are not required to have a furharvester license:

  • owners of land or tenants of land leased or rented for agricultural purposes, and
  • immediate family members living with them, while furharvesting on this land;
  • residents 13 and younger accompanied by a licensed furharvester;
  • legally-defined Native American Kansas residents (must apply for free license);
  • nonresidents using field trial permits issued by KDWP.

This applies to furharvesting only; a furharvester license is required of these exempt individuals when selling furbearers or their pelts.


Free park vehicle permits and hunting and fishing licenses are available to active members of the Kansas National Guard. Free hunting and fishing licenses are available to honorably discharged resident veterans with certified service-related disabilities of 30 percent or more. Applications may be obtained on the license and permit page.


Military personnel hunting or furharvesting ARE required to have hunting or furharvesting licenses. Nonresident military personnel not stationed in Kansas must have a nonresident license. Active-duty members who were Kansas residents immediately prior to enlistment – and their immediate family members living with them – may purchase a resident license, regardless of duty station.

Active-duty nonresident military personnel stationed in Kansas may hunt or furharvest with a resident hunting or furharvesting license, if they carry evidence identifying them as active-duty military personnel.