Finney Wildlife Area
Finney State Lake and Wildlife Area is located in Northeast Finney County approximately 8 miles north and 2 miles west of Kalvesta, Kansas. The property is managed as a combination wildlife and fishing area. Fishing opportunities only exist during high rain fall years. Located in the mixed grass prairie of west-central Kansas, the area sits along a tributary of the Pawnee River. Approximately 660 acres are in native grasses and, when there is adequate rain fall, approximately 120 acres of surface water. The remainder is cropland or food plots and riparian vegetation.
Starting in 2012 the lake bottom was developed into crop crop ground. Crops will be planted in the lake bottom that is not flooded.
The entire property is open to public hunting. Finney Wildlife Area offers excellent populations of mule deer, white-tailed deer, pheasant, doves, cottontail rabbit, coyotes, raccoon, and, when water is present, ducks and geese. There is a small water hole located in the northern part of the property on the west side of the creek and trees.
Although the area was specifically obtained to create fishing opportunities, water in the lake is totally dependent on runoff from the drainages above the lake. Therefore, there will be years when the lake is dry. However, when adequate water is available, the fishing at Finney can be exceptional. The water quality of this lake allows growth of largemouth bass, channel catfish, redear sunfish and blue-gill. If enough water is present, a boat ramp is available. Boats can only be used for fishing purposes.
Lake is Dry.
- Vehicles are restricted to the use of maintained roads and parking areas. Off-road vehicles use is prohibited.
- A No Trash policy is in effect for this area. Please take your trash home.
- Check regulations and informational signs at the entrances for creel and length limit regulations, public lands regulations, and any special restrictions imposed on the area.
In 1933, F.W. McCauley donated 60 acres to Kansas Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism, and another 780 acres was donated to the state by F.W. Kinney in 1934. The State then purchased an additional 14 acres in 1935 for a total of 854 acres. The dam was built between November 17, 1933 and April 1, 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. A monument and plaque commemorate the Corps and four individuals who died during construction.
- Type of Facility: Vault Toilet
- This facility is ADA accessible
- Location of Facility: N38 10 28.19 W100 20 05.10
- Type of Facility: Boat Ramp
- Location of Facility: N38 10 28.27 W100 20 03.06
Click for more information
This boat ramp is located on the area for hunting and fishing only