Whitetail either sex permits sales will be available online Aug. 1

PRATT -- The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) has announced that applications for resident 2005 Any Deer permit applications are now available online. For those hunters who wish to take a mule deer, an application for an Any Deer permit must be submitted to the agency by July 15. All other resident deer permits and game tags, including Whitetail Either Sex permits, may be purchased through the seasons at KDWP offices, license vendors, and -- new this year -- at the KDWP website beginning Aug. 1.

Applications will be mailed to all resident deer hunters who applied for firearms permits last year. Online sales, however, can eliminate delays in mail service or waiting in line at a vendor or KDWP office. Whitetail Antlerless Only Deer Game Tags and Statewide Archery permits may also be purchased throughout the season at KDWP offices, county clerks, some license vendors, and online (beginning Aug. 1).

Again this year, each hunter is limited to a maximum of one antlered deer permit. However, each hunter may purchase as many as five whitetail antlerless permits or tags in addition to that single antlered permit. New provisions for the 2005 deer seasons include the following.

  • Archery permits are no longer valid statewide. Nine archery units have been created. Archery permit holders may hunt in up to two archery units, as specified on the permit.
  • Archery hunters may hunt during the firearms season (Nov. 30 through Dec. 11) with legal archery equipment only. Archers hunting during a firearm season must wear orange clothing, as required of firearms hunters.
  • A minimum age requirement no longer exists for big game hunters.
  • Anyone born on or after July 1, 1957 must successfully complete an approved course in hunter education before hunting in Kansas EXCEPT THAT anyone 15 years old and younger may hunt without hunter education certification provided they are under direct supervision of an adult 18 or older. Hunters 12 years of age and older may hunt by themselves provided they possess a valid hunter education certificate and the appropriate licenses and/or permits.
  • All deer hunters must possess a valid antlered deer permit before they can acquire an antlerless-only permit or game tag.
  • Unit 16 has been added to units requiring firearms hunters to register harvested deer at check stations. Other mandatory check station units for firearms hunters include 1, 2, 3, 17 and 18. (Deer taken outside of these units and outside the regular firearms deer season do not need to be taken to a deer check station.)
  • Deer Management Unit 19 boundaries have been modified to include a larger portion of the City of Leavenworth.
  • The fee for a nonresident antlered deer permit (including Landowner/Tenant Transferable) is $321. This fee includes a non-refundable $20 application fee.
  • Any applicant who is unsuccessful in the permit drawing will earn one preference point. An individual who does not want to apply for a permit in the current year may purchase a preference point.