American Indian Hunting, Fishing and Trapping License Information

Kansas Law (K.S.A. 32-929) provides that the secretary of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, upon submission of satisfactory proof thereof, shall issue free licenses to hunt, fish and trap to any person residing in the state who is enrolled as an American Indian on a tribal membership roll which is federally recognized by the United States Department of Interior.

To qualify a person must

  1. Submit a paper application provided by KDWP or Apply online at
  2. Reside in the State of Kansas
  3. Provide acceptable proof of tribal enrollment number in the form of a legal document issued by the tribal office certifying the named persons enrollment number.

The Indian licenses issued by the State of Kansas apply to hunting, fishing, and trapping in Kansas only, and are not recognized by any other state.

This license is only valid if you are residing in Kansas.


Kansas law requires anyone born on or after July 1, 1957 to have a certificate of competency showing that they have successfully completed an approved hunter education course before hunting. 

Anyone born on or after July 1, 1966 must successfully complete an approved furharvester education course and be able to produce upon request a certificate of competency, before hunting, running, trapping, or pursuing furbearing animals.

If you are of such age, that portion of your license is null and void until the required education course is completed. If the course cards are issued by a state other than Kansas, a copy of the other state’s education card(s) must be provided.

A person qualifying under this Act may visit any KDWP office or call (620) 672-5911 to obtain an application for the Kansas American Indian Hunt, Fish and Trap license.

For a replacement license, please call the Pratt Operations Office (620) 672-5911 or log into your account at to reprint your license.

You can now use the mobile app to show proof of your licenses.

GoOutdoorsKS allows hunters and anglers to purchase licenses and permits, sync current licenses, submit harvest reports, and find useful tools such as regulations. This app is available on IOS and Android devices.

GoOutdoorsKS Mobile App Icon