Antelope and Elk Permits
NEW for 2023-- Antelope hunters may either purchase an over-the-counter archery permit OR purchase a preference point/apply for the antelope firearms/muzzleloader limited draw permits.
2023 Antelope Application Deadline: June 9, 2023
FIREARMS and MUZZLELOADER
- Western portions of the state have a limited competitive draw for firearm and muzzleloader permits.
- All applications will need to be submitted thru the online application process.
- Applicants must apply online from May 9 thru June 9, 2023 or by phone 833-587-2164.
- All fees listed below will have an internet convenience fee added at time of applying online for a permit or preference point.
ANTELOPE APPLICATION FEES:
- General Resident Application: $62.50
- Resident Landowner/Resident Tenant Application: $37.50
- Resident Youth Application ( age 15 and under): $22.50
- NR Tenant Application: $97.50
- Preference Point only: $12.50
A preference point will be given to those applicants who are unsuccessful in the Resident Draw. If you do not want to apply for a permit and want to purchase a preference point only, select preference point only online for $12.50 from May 9 thru June 9, 2023. Only one preference point may be obtained per year.
Preference points remain on file for 5 years from last date a point was issued or purchased. If applicant fails to make at least one application or purchase one point within five consecutive years, all earned preference points will be reset to zero.
Group Hunt: The group hunt application is to accommodate those who do not want to hunt unless their hunting partners draw also. Applicants (up to 5) must apply for the same unit and the same weapon choice. Each person will make application and there will be a question on the application about groups.
The first applicant in the group to apply would select the create group option on this question. This will create a group and you will be given a group number.
Each applicant applying after the group has been set up would select the join group option and they would fill in the Group number. Applicant will be asked at the time of application to select the choice of permit delivery (print and mail, or electronic delivery to the mobile app Go Outdoors Kansas.
The overall group will be drawn from the lowest preference point in the group.
The credit card provided will be used to pay for the total price of the award permits at the time of the draw if this application is selected as a winner for the hunt.
Any members added by the leader will be charged on the leader’s credit card by default. If any individual members' credit card is unsuccessful, the entire group application will be unsuccessful. Credit card information for each applicant can be modified after the application is submitted.
FIREARMS and MUZZLELOADER
Western portions of the state have a limited competitive draw for firearm and muzzleloader permits. These permits have a unit number printed on it and you are required to hunt within that geographic area. Be sure to consult the maps before hunting. Pratt Operations Office
New for 2023 -- Antelope hunters may either purchase an over-the-counter archery permit OR purchase a preference point/apply for the antelope firearms/muzzleloader limited draw permits.
Open Archery antelope permits have been available to residents since 1990. Recent annual sales have averaged about 115 resident archery permits, and with a 10 to 12 percent success rate among archery hunters, harvest impact on the pronghorn population by archery hunters has been minimal. Archery permits may be purchased at any licensed agent from August 2 through Oct. 31, 2023.
- Archery Antelope (general resident) $52.50
- Archery Antelope (resident landowner/resident tenant) $27.50
- Archery Antelope (resident youth 15 and younger) $12.50
- Archery Antelope (nonresident) $302.50
- Archery Antelope (nonresident youth 15 and younger) $102.50
- Archery Antelope (nonresident tenant) $87.50
2023 PROPOSED Antelope Seasons
Archery: Sept. 23-Oct. 1, 2023
Muzzleloader: Oct. 2-9, 2023
Firearms: Oct. 6-9, 2023
Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset.
2023 RESIDENT ELK PERMIT APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM MAY 9 - JUNE 9 2023.
All applications will need to be submitted thru the online application process.
Applicants must apply online from MAY 9 thru JUNE 9, 2023 or apply by phone 833-587-2164. Fee to apply for an elk permit or purchase a bonus point is $12.50.
Military permits are only available for active duty military personnel stationed at Fort Riley. All other eligible persons must apply for general permits.
For the limited draw elk permits, each applicant shall have an additional opportunity in the draw for each bonus point earned. Bonus points are awarded as follows:
One (1) bonus point shall be awarded for each year the applicant is unsuccessful in obtaining a draw permit for the taking of an elk. If the applicant does not want to apply for a permit, they may purchase a bonus point during the application period.
When an applicant obtains an elk permit thru the draw, or if the applicant fails to make at least one application or purchase one bonus point within five consecutive years, all earned bonus points will be lost. Applicant cannot apply for a permit and purchase a bonus point in the same year.
Permit fees will be collected from successful applicants only.
Elk - Firearms (Any Elk)
- General Resident: $302.50
- Landowner/Tenant: $152.50
- Resident Youth (15 and younger): $127.50
- Nonresident Tenant: $302.50
- General resident: $152.50
- Landowner/Tenant: $77.50
- Resident Youth (15 and younger): $52.50
- Nonresident Tenant: $152.50
Units open for elk hunting were expanded in 2006 Commission Meeting to statewide use, except that UNIT 1 in Morton County is closed to elk hunting.
Elk hunting on and around Fort Riley was initiated in 1990. Most of the hunting opportunity occurs on the military base, but unlimited hunt-own-land permits have been allocated off the base since 1999, and additional units were opened to hunting in 2003.
Seasons – OUTSIDE FT. RILEY (Statewide except Fort Riley, Subunit 2a, and Unit 1)
- Muzzleloader: Sept. 1-30, 2023
- Archery: Sept. 11 - Dec. 31, 2023
- Firearms: Aug. 1-31, Nov. 29 - Dec. 10, 2023 and Jan. 1-Mar. 15, 2024
Seasons – ON FT. RILEY
- Muzzleloader/Archery: Sept. 1-30, 2023
- Firearms (for Any-Elk Permit Holders): Oct. 1-Dec. 31, 2023
- Firearms, Antlerless First Segment: Oct. 1-31, 2023
- Firearms, Antlerless Second Segment: Nov. 1-30, 2023
- Firearms, Antlerless Third Segment: Dec. 1-31, 2023