KANSAS STATE PARKS PREPARE FOR BUSY SEASON
April 5, 2012
April marks beginning of park season
PRATT — Great outdoor adventures are waiting at Kansas state parks. The early warm-up this spring has whetted the appetites of campers, boaters, and anglers, and your state parks are ready.
In addition to camping, boating, fishing, hiking, and biking, a variety of special events are planned throughout the state to enhance the state park experience. Some events are in conjunction with Free Park Entrance Days; some celebrate a special historical event or geological attribute of an individual park; and others are just for entertainment. Each park sets its own dates for these events.
Events are diverse and may include anything from a marathon race to boating courses and equestrian events. Many are educational, and all make visiting Kansas state parks more enjoyable. For more information on state park events, phone individual parks or click the "Event Calendar" on the State Parks page of the KDWPT website, ksoutdoors.com.
Park goers are urged to phone the park they intend to visit before traveling. Telephone numbers of all state parks offices may be found on the KDWP website. Click "State Parks" at the top of the page, then "Locations" in the left-hand column. A short conversation with local park staff will provide information on campsite availability, park conditions, current visitation rates, and answers to other questions. KDWPT is currently in the process of installing a new reservation system, so no new reservations will be taken until April 17.
Although few events are currently scheduled for April, each month gets busier as the air and water warm. April events include the following:
- April 6-8 — 2nd Annual Luke Nihart Memorial Turkey Hunt (youth/disabled) at Tuttle Creek and Milford state parks;
- April 7 — Kansas Ultra Runners' Society Rockin' K Trail Runs at Kanopolis State Park;
- April 14-15 — Heart of America German Shorthair Pointer Club AKC Field Trial & Hunt Test at Hillsdale State Park;
- April 20-21 — Spoon Creek Chapter Fellowship of Christian Cowboys Trail Ride at Hillsdale State Park;
- April 21 — second annual benefit ride to send combat troops packages at El Dorado State Park (phone American Legion, 316-323-3982);
- April 21 — Hays Bass Anglers Association Fishing Tournament at Wilson State Park;
- April 21 — 9th Annual Corps of Engineers Clinton Reservoir Clean Up at Clinton State Park;
- April 21 — Kansas Buddy Bass Tournament at Eisenhower State Park; and
- April 28 — OK Kids Day and Free Entrance at Cheney State Park.