Wildlife Biologists

Since 1973, the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks has employed Wildlife Biologists whose primary responsibility is to work with private landowners to improve wildlife habitat on their land. Technical assistance can include recommendations on habitat improvement, cover types, and food establishment for all species of wildlife. Additionally, there are several state and federal wildlife programs that can provide financial assistance for improving wildlife habitat.

KDWPT Wildlife Biologists also coordinate our public hunting access programs. There are various public access options including limited access special hunts, annual Walk-In Hunting Access agreements, and long-term Voluntary Public Access contracts on CRP acres.

If you are a Kansas landowner or tenant with an interest in managing your property to benefit wildlife, or would like more information regarding our public access programs, contact your KDWPT Wildlife Biologist today!

Click on your county in the map below for Wildlife Biologist contact information: 

Habitat First Pic

For additional information on any of these programs please contact your local Wildlife Biologist.

Practice Descriptions and Specifications

WIHA logo

The walk-in hunting access (WIHA) program kicked off in 1995 in an effort to enhance the strong Kansas hunting heritage by providing hunting access to private property. The program has grown to one of the most successful access programs in the country. By 2004, over 1 million acres were enrolled in the program providing countless opportunities for sportsmen to pursue their favorite game at no additional charge. Although the majority of the acreage provides good to excellent upland game bird hunting, some areas provide opportunities for deer, waterfowl and squirrel hunting as well. Landowners receive a modest payment in exchange for allowing public hunting access. Payments vary by the amount of acres enrolled and length of contract period. Contract dates can be established from September 1 or November 1 through January 31 of each year. In addition, other lands are leased for spring turkey hunting only (April 1- May 31). Land enrolled can be in CRP, native rangeland, wheat or milo stubble and riparian or wetland areas. The area is posted with signs designating it as WIHA, regularly patrolled, and safety zones clearly marked. Liability is waived from private individuals who lease land to the state for recreational purposes. State law provides immunity from damages or injuries resulting from ordinary negligence. For more information fill out the application in the brochure below and send it to the Regional Office in your area or contact Private Lands Coordinator in Pratt Operations Office for more information.

Hunting Atlas

WIHA logo

For More Information

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Private Lands Coordinator
Pratt Operations Office
512 SE 25th Ave., Pratt KS 67124
(620) 672-5911

Or use this Form to Email KDWP.

The Voluntary Public Access program (VPA) focuses on enrolling quality properties with CRP or Continuous CRP contracts for long-term public hunting access agreements.

Participants in the VPA program can receive additional incentive payments for new or recently enrolled CRP, and access payments for public hunting opportunities.

Public hunting leases range from $2 to $6 per acre annually, run for the duration of the CRP agreement, and all payments are made up-front!

 Don't Delay, Call Your County Wildlife Biologist Today!

This material is based upon work supported by the Natural Resources Conservation Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, under number 69-3A75-16-506.

Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.