Woodson State Fishing Lake
The oak covered Chautauqua Hills which lie along the east and south side of the lake, along with the native grass covered rolling terrain to the west and north, provide a beautiful setting for Woodson State Fishing Lake. The lake itself is 180 surface acres and is located on a tributary of Big Sandy Creek, which eventually dumps into the Verdigris River. About 75% of public use on the area centers around the lake. Primary use is by anglers, however, the beautiful setting of the lake draws many campers and day users.
Manager: John Johnson
Due to drought conditions Woodson Lake is approximately 8 ft. below conservation pool as of late December. The boat ramp is still usable for small or light craft. Caution should be taken with anything larger. Fish feeders are empty for the year and will be back up and running next spring.
John Johnson, AREA MANAGER
In 1933 320 acres of property was donated to the Forestry Fish and Game Commission by R.B. Fegan on which to build a state lake. In 1974 the purchase of an adjoining 2,245 additional acres was completed from Robert Blair. Another parcel was purchased in 1976, which was the last parcel added to the area. This brings the total acreage of the Woodson Area to 2,885 acres.